Sign In to join the community | Help
Lumber & Composites

Wallpaper Mural - Advice needed on lumber materials/framing

I recently purchased a wallpaper mural that is 144" x 96" total in size.  It comes in three panels (4x8ft).  See link below.

I am looking to find the best lumber material (plywood?) to adhere the wallpaper mural too.  In the end, I will be leaning the panels against a wall, rather than hanging them.  With that being said, would it be crucial to frame them to prevent bending over time?  If so, what materials would you suggest for that?

Thank you for your help!!!

http://www.art.com/products/p15156788-sa-i3577251/trail-avenue-of-the-giants-founders-grove-california-usa.htm?sOrig=CAT&sOrigID=0&dimVals=0&ui=3EA7167D2EC64204B040AD438C805218&searchstring=Trail%2c+Avenue+of+the+Giants%2c+Founders+Grove%2c+California%2c+USA&SSK=Trail%2c+Avenue+of+the+Giants%2c+Founders+Grove%2c+California%2c+USA

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-09-21T19:12:12+0000  by kelseysamantha kelseysamantha

Hello kelseysamantha, and welcome to the Community!

That's a beautiful mural, it's going to look fantastic in your home.  My suggestion is to use either a Hardboard Tempered Panel that is 4 ft. wide x 8 ft high or a MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) that also comes in the same width and height, the thicknesses will differ. Either of these two materials will give you a nice flat surface to apply your mural. 

Angelo
Posted 2017-09-22T12:54:35+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI
No sheet good (plywood, hardboard, or fiberboard) is going to stay flat when leaned against a wall.  They're just not made for that.  I think that Angelo's suggestion of hardboard (often called Masonite) would be a good choice but mount your art work on the wall, perhaps installing some kind of frame behind the hardboard for rigidity.
Posted 2017-09-23T01:57:43+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+