Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Wallpaper Removal

Hi.  I've been working in my bedroom removing wallpaper that is about 40 years old or so.  The wallpaper removal was a breeze.  However, the glue and residue is left behind and is too stubborn to take off.  I've tried using the wallpaper stripper heat gun that goes up to 900 degrees and scraping it off with little success.  I've tried the vinegar remedy with no success.  I've wasted $20 renting the steamer at Home Depot  to remove wallpaper with little success as well.  I can't do this on my own.  Is there a person that works with Home Depot that I can hire to take off the remainder of the glue and residue?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-11-27T22:07:03+0000  by hac95 hac95

Hac95,

All wallpaper paste is water soluble, some more than others. The secret is to get the pasterealy wet and keeping it wet for a few minutes. I usually used a garden sprayer filled with water and DIF. Don't do more than one wall at a time. You won't be able to keep larger areas wet and they will dry down again.

Obviously, wooden floors and carpet need to be protected. I would cut sheet plastic into 4 foot wide strips and tape it just slightly above the baseboard with 2 inch masking tape. The plastic is then rolled slightly toward the wall to form a trough from which the water can be repeatedly sponged up.

Working from the top down, scrub the paste with either midium grade steel wool or 3M scrubby pads. Most pre-pasted papers in later years used cellulose paste. This paste is clear and cannot be seen. Celllose paste feels slimey until the wall is clean.

If the paste looks tannish, it is probably "clay" paste. Clay paste is a thicker paste which was used for heavier canvas type papers. Clay pastes take longer to soften due to their heavier body.

The watch word for paper and paste removal is "plenty of water and patience". Pastes usually come off without too much trouble once they have been soaked enough.  The quality of the paint on which the paper was hung will greatly affect the paste removal. If the wall has a good coat of water resistive paint, the paste will soften more quickly.

Heat from a heat gun  has absolutely no effect on wallpaper pastes, as it would have on floor mastics.

Don't forget to protect the electrical  outlets from water. Simply put masking tape over them. It is a good idea to turn off the circuit breaker to those outlets.

Hope this is of help to you

Posted 2012-11-28T09:09:18+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+