Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

Washer for Siink Faucet

How di I change a washer on a sink faucet?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-07-23T22:16:33+0000  by Bing Bing

Hello Bing,

The procedure for accessing the faucet washer can differ from faucet style to style. The first step no matter what the style, is to turn off the water at the valve stops below the faucet.

The handle/knob has to be removed first and is held in place by a set screw or Phillips screw. Set screws can be found behind little temperature buttons on the side handle (below left) or the backside of the handle. Phillips screws are located under the temperature buttons of traditional acrylic and metal handles (below right). The screw runs through the handles and holds it to the stem to allow the water flow to be controlled.

Once the handle is removed you will be looking at the stem. The stem will need to be unscrewed to remove it. The stem may be held in place with a locking ring or nut. Remove the locking ring/nut if present and lift the stem out.

The washer is located at the bottom of the stem and held in place with a phillips screw. Bring the stem and washer into the plumbing department of your local store. A plumbing associate will be able to match the washer size and check the stem for any other potential problems. I hope this helps and if you run into any hiccups posts some pictures here and we'll be happy to help out.



Posted 2016-07-25T15:02:23+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question