Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Water temperature/pressure in new shower

Hi everyone,

Recently, with the help of this awesome community, I installed a new tub and faucet shower set in my master bathroom (Model # 875-9196H, SKU 649927), eveyrthing is working, no leaks but unfortunately the system does not seem to be 100%....I have 3 more problems.....

1) The water does not get as hot as it used to with the old shower head. Not sure what the problem is at all...the water in the rest of the bathroom and other outlets is normal.

2) The water pressure is not what it used to be. Could this be because the new shower head is larger than the old?

3) Finally, when I turn the handle of the faucet all the way up for max temp, it shuts the water off....very strange.

Any advice/suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Paddy

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-12-23T13:08:46+0000  by Paddy77 Paddy77

Hey again Paddy77, I'm glad to see your chipping away at your list!

Your lack of hot water could be one of two things, or a combination of both. The Pegasus shower set you purchased has integral stops, (essentially tiny shut off valves that can stop water to the main shower valve if you needed to replace a cartridge) It is possible that the faucet was shipped from the manufacturer with the hot water integral stop in the 'Off' position, or halfway off. 

The second issue that you may be running into is that this is a pressure balancing valve with an adjustable temperature limit. It may be adjusted a little bit to low for your liking. This type of valve is great if you have seniors or children using the shower as you will not have to worry about accidental scalding, once you have the max temp set where you like it, you won't have to mess with finding the right temp every time. 

THIS LINK  Has the instruction manual for the faucet. Step 8 explains the process needed to change the max temp setting.

As far as the pressure goes, the manufacturer states that the shower head is limited to 2.5 GPM. This is common now days as many states have requirements about the peak volume of water from showers. Most of these shower heads have a simple plastic flow reducer in them to reduce the pressure. Generally these can be removed with ease if they are not required in your area. 

I hope this was helpful Paddy, you know where to find me if you need any more help!

-Blake

Posted 2010-12-23T15:41:42+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Blake,

Thanks for your input. I'll look into it in more detail later on and post back with my results. The faucet instruction manual link didn't display in your message but I think I have it anyway. Will post again later on, hopefully with good results!

Paddy

Posted 2010-12-23T15:59:24+0000  by Paddy77

Hey paddy, that link is to a PDF version of the instructions. Here is a screenshot of the important bit.

pegasus.JPG

I'd be very surprised if this wasn't your issue. 

Posted 2010-12-23T16:10:47+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Hi Blake,

I had the same problem, and found your instructions just by chance.  The water temperature and shower head issues are now resolved, thank you very much, but I am still having the problem with the water turning off when it is turned on full blast, (which isn't very high, actually.)  When I turn the shower handle to the fullest, it shuts off the water, as it did for Paddy77.  There didn't seem to be anything in the instructions to help that problem.  Can you help?

Posted 2011-03-22T05:44:12+0000  by Rowleykats

Hi there Rowleykats, I'm glad we've knocked out two out of the three problems. To clarify, is your shower valve the same model that Paddy was working with? If not do you happen to know the make and model (that would really help)? Also, when you say the water shuts off at "full blast" are you talking about maximum temperature, or maximum pressure? (If your valve has a separate control for volume and temp)

I look forward to hearing from you Rowleykats!

-Blake

Posted 2011-03-23T18:19:29+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+