Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

Waterproof a basement wall

Have moister coming in from a wall in basement - I cleaned gutters, built French drain and raised dirt level around the area outside the wall.  These actions slowed down the seepage but, it still exists during heavy rains.  

I see much discussion on sealers (drylock, belowline, etc) with varying reviews.  What is the best approach for the So. MD Chesapeake Bay area?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-19T14:53:32+0000  by eller63 eller63

Hey eller63,

Welcome to the community!

Regardless of where you live, having proper planning and materials outside the walls and well as inside will greatly assist you in getting rid of the seepage thru the wall.

I personally have heard of my customers getting great results through Drylok at the paint department.

Extreme 1-gal. Masonry Waterproofer

However, making sure water gets diverted away from the wall first is just as important as putting Drylok inside. The key is inspecting any moisture inside and outside the walls during and after significant rains.

Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.
Posted 2014-05-03T20:30:24+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Outstanding Question eller63!

While Drylok is an excellent final coating, make certain to fill crack and pass-thrus in your wall with Fast Plug Hydraulic Cement first.

This product is packaged as a powder that your mix and trowel into seams.

As it dries, it expands to "stop active leaks."

One of my contractors described stopping a three-foot jet of water coming from a crack ... while the wall was wet!

Examine your wall for seams, cracks, and pass-thrus and apply hydraulic cement before coating the entire wall with Drylok.
Posted 2014-10-29T00:13:53+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+