Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Waterproofing

Hello.  I have a vintage painted wood buffet that I am turning into a bathroom vanity with dual vessel sinks.  What product can I use to waterproof the painted surfaces of the vanity?  Thanks for your assistance.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-12T22:55:34+0000  by cynpanzarella cynpanzarella

Welcome to our community Cynpanzarella!

Thank you for your question!

Are you repainting the surface, or do you want to put a clear coat on the paint that is already there?

The reason I ask, is because if you are planning on repainting it, you will not need a clear coat unless you are doing a faux finish (such as a distressed look). When I repainted my kitchen cabinets, I used an oil- based primer and then applied a semi-gloss, latex- based paint on top. I did this 4 years ago and they still look wonderful! They are easy to clean and there is no sign of chipping or wear.

Now, my recommendation changes quite a bit if you want to do a clear coat on top of the existing paint. I'm presuming that the current paint has lost a lot of its luster and you want to give it some shine and reenergize the piece. My recommendation would be to use Minwax Spar Urethane. This product protects wonderfully against water and is scrubable. It is available in a satin, semi-gloss and gloss finish.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

- Christine :) 

Posted 2014-01-13T12:29:21+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Do be advised that spar urethane, or any oil based varnish, does impart a distinct amber tone to the surface, more so with several coats. If the piece is somewhat antiqued, this might be interesting. However, it sometimes can alter the finish color dramatically.

Years ago I glazed the paneling in an entire family room with a blue basecoat and glaze. It was then varnished with oil based varnish. Unfortunately, the next day the room had a distinct green look due to the amber tone of the varnish. The room had to be completely redone.  It was a two day set back!

If clarity of the clear coat is important, use the water based urethane Minwax Polycrylic. The name of this product is somewhat confusing, as it sounds as if it is an acrylic varnish. It is actually a urethane. Urethanes are much more durable in the presence of standing water than is an acrylic.

Posted 2014-01-13T17:57:24+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+