Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

We need to close of our Patio for Winter

Hello Everyone!

For this Christmas, we are hosting the Family Christmas Dinner for the 2nd time! Last year was a success! Everyone had a great time and are wanting to have it here again! Anyway, everything is great but only problem is that we just don't really have the room to have every sleep in the House. I mean we do but it can be such a mess you can say. But we all have a plan to use the Patio to have the Teenagers to sleep in it during the celebration.

So we have the idea to cover up the openings and install a wood stove inside to keep them and everyone warm during the winter. The Stove is already planned out, but we don't exactly know how were going to keep the Patio Winterize from the Cold Winds and snow.

If anyone of you can help us with a idea of how to do this, please send us an idea and products we need to get in order to do so. We also would like to stay on budget. The lowest you can go is the best for us. This is the first time we will ever do this. Thank you!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-11-28T22:17:25+0000  by ebebebryant ebebebryant

Hello ebebebryant and welcome to the community.

If what you want is to just block the wind and the snow, Home Depot has a wide variety of Tarps that could be fastened to the beam above and the side walls.  You can uses two sections of tarp and overlap them to create a sealed doorway flap, like curtains on a stage. If you buy a tarp that is a foot or more  taller than your opening you can place heavy rocks or boards on the outside bottom to hold it down.

Enclosing a space like this (especially if it is a sleeping area), can be tricky, when a heat source is involved.   I want to CAUTION you that with a heat source like a wood stove you must make sure it is properly installed and vent to the outside.  Take care to ensure that the area is properly ventilated to eliminate the potential for carbon monoxide or other deadly gases poisoning.  Follow all safety measures to eliminate the potential for burns.

If you are interested in a more permanent enclosure, it would require that you meet certain building code standards.  I would suggest you contact a building contractor who knows your local code requirements. Or your local municipal department for building standards and codes.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2016-12-01T15:07:15+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Greetings ebebebryant,

I with Char on this one!

I have check the weather in Sheep Spring NM, and it looks like you will have nightly lows in the 30*s, in the immediate future, and I am sure the temps to go lower as the season progresses....it is going to be very cold!

Providing adequate ventilation is a life and death situation, if you need to provide warmth I suggest looking into sub-zero sleeping bags and camping gear, something for an arctic event.

Do not block the air flow! If this is going to be an annual event take Char advise and have a professional contractor look into your options.

Have a safe and happy holiday,

Maureen

Posted 2016-12-01T17:14:54+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+