Sign In to join the community | Help

Weird closet doors?

I'm renting an apartment that was built in the late 50's and it has a super weird closet. It's 3 panel sliding doors that are probably 8 feet tall. The closet is in the living room, and its kind of an eyesore. I'm looking for some ways to spruce it up in a non permanent way. I've attached some images of the panels
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-05-21T17:27:41+0000  by LaRodilla LaRodilla

Hello LaRodilla,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

Also thank you for uploading the images of your closet; that helps us see them easier.

I can't exactly see if they are fabric based or another type, but it looks thin from the crease that it's made from some sort of material.

If you are indeed renting as you state, I'd strongly recommend to not use any paint, wallpaper, or anything with an adhesive backing. This could damage the panels, and could affect any deposit you had on your unit when you move out...if you have any.

As for materials, your safest bet would be to use drapery to safely cover the panels without causing permanent damage. Your local Home Depot has several varieties, but other fabric stores can and will have other choices as well.

You can use decorative tacks to hold everything in place, so to create a firm install but also allows for easy removal when you decide to move. 

Simply measure the size of the door panels and go over width and length by a few inches to ensure you'll have enough. You can always trim them or tuck them back to allow for a more professional appearance.

Let us know if you have any further questions,


Posted 2016-05-21T17:51:26+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question