Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

What In The World Is A 'Story Pole'?

Story poles, have along and fascinating history. Ancient Egyptians used them in constructing the pyramids. Eighteenth-century house framers used them to keep track of ceiling-joist heights for each story, thus the term Story Pole. Masons, shinglers, and siding installers still use them to maintain the spacing of their courses. Electricians find them useful to position outlets, fixtures, and switches; they are even used to hang pictures.

You can make you own at home, a straight piece of 2x2 or 2x4 will work, measure out your dimensions and mark your story pole and you are ready to go.

Story poles eliminate the need to measure for each row or course, assure even and uniform rows and can be used again and again. I made one to measure for hinge placement when I replaced the interior doors in my house.

The next time you are working on a project requiring multiple rows of wood, drilling multiple holes for shelf pegs or just painting a wall in two colors, make your own story pole, you’ll find it will make your work easier and better looking.

Mike, The Home Depot Answer Man

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-05-08T01:05:00+0000  by Mike_HD_OC Mike_HD_OC

Greetings Mike,

Great story about the "story pole"!

Keep them coming, your posts are so interesting!

All the best,
Maureen
Posted 2018-05-10T16:11:27+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Another great post Mike.

I've really been loving all of your "What in the world" posts.. 

It's crazy to think about all of the terms/items that are commonly used in the construction/DIY world that most people have never herd of. Or if they have they have no idea what they are or used for. 

Being a woodworker I'm very familiar with a story pole. I actually call is a story stick. I have some that are very old for projects that I've made over and over. I made my first story stick way back in Junior High School. My teacher had me make one for a cabinet/bookcase that I was making. They are a life saver.

I actually use a story stick for some of my crafts also. When I'm making multiples of anything I use one. For example I made 45 leather key chains that I had to cut to size, punch a hole in them and then stamp the same thing 
on all of them. I used a story stick to make sure all of them were the same.  

They are a very important tool in many areas of construction and the craft world. 

Thanks again Mike for sharing all of your expertise with all of us.

Posted 2018-05-16T15:44:00+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+