Sign In to join the community | Help
Gift Ideas

What In The World Is 'Efflorescence'?

Efflorescence is a whitish, powdery deposit on the surface of concrete, brick, stone, rocks or soil in dry regions. It is formed as mineral-rich water rises to the surface and then evaporates. Efflorescence usually consists of gypsum, salt, or calcite.

In our homes efflorescence is a crystalline deposit of salts often seen on the surface of concrete, brick, stucco, or natural stone surfaces. It occurs when water is present on or in the masonry surface. It is usually white or grayish in color; it is present only on the surface and flakes off. It's actually salt deposits left behind by water. The word efflorescence means, "To flower out" in French. In this case, it is salt flowering out of surfaces.

I have seen efflorescence in my garage and often wondered if it was a problem, my neighbor told me when our homes were built in the early 1960’s that beach sand was used in the concrete mix, beach sand has a lot of salt in it and thus we see a lot of efflorescence.

So the next time you see efflorescence, just remember it is not dangerous, it's just nature at work.

Mike, The Home Depot Answer Man

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-06-05T00:06:33+0000  by Mike_HD_OC Mike_HD_OC

Topic
Categories+