Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

What In The World Is a T-Bevel?


A T-Bevel also known as a bevel gauge or false square is an adjustable gauge for setting and transferring angles. The handle is usually made of metal or plastic and connected to a metal blade with a thumbscrew or wing nut. The name T-bevel is derived from its appearance, when in use it looks like a T.

The tool is used to transfer angles from one object to another or mark an angle on new material. To transfer an angle place the T-bevel against the piece to be copied, slide the blade in or out to replicate the angle and lock the wing nut, then move the t-bevel to the new piece and mark the angle with a scribe or pencil. Now you are ready to cut the new piece to the exact angle as the original.

T-Bevels are a real time saver when trying to replicate odd or unusual angles, if you’re installing crown molding, a T-bevel can give you the exact angle of the corner without trial and error saving you time and material. If replacing a broken piece of wood or metal, a T-bevel will allow you to duplicate the angle of the original exactly.

I recently remodeled my kitchen, and I wanted to replicate the angle of the cabinets in my semi-u shaped kitchen. Using a T-bevel I simply placed it against the cabinet body slid the blade out against the opposite cabinet and I had my angle. I then created a template with the same angle and used it to install our new cabinets duplicating the original angle. It was a snap!

The next time you need to copy or replicate a piece of wood, metal, plastic or drywall, just get yourself a T-Bevel it will make the job much easier.


Mike, The Home Depot Answer Man

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-08-13T22:56:50+0000  by Mike_HD_OC Mike_HD_OC