Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

What are the best supplies to use to paint stairs?

We're getting ready to rip up the 8 year old carpet on the stairs and I am planning on painting them. There's only so much I can trust coming from Pinterest. I've seen a lot of fun projects on there, but the "how to" details are usually lacking, so I figured this is the best place to ask, so I don't drive the sales people nuts at Home Depot.

What are the best supplies to do this? More specifically, what kind/brand of paint and primer would be best? Is there something I should use as a topcoat or would a certain type of paint hold up the the daily traffic of two people and two dogs? Would a liquid deglosser be sufficient enough to take the sheen off of the railing so I can paint that too? (I'm not sure what it was painted with before we moved in, but it's very shiny and in need of a refresh.) Also, what would the approximate dry time be before we can walk up the steps? Our only bathroom is upstairs, so this needs to be planned out pretty carefully.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-20T04:18:16+0000  by Daina Daina

It's a great day at The Paint Pit Diana!

HANDRAIL:

The simplest solution for your handrails is Zinsser Cover Stain ... an oil-based primer that dries in one-hour.

According to the manufacturer, "Sticks to all surfaces without sanding. Dries Quickly. Use any topcoat."

So, simply wipe the surface with a slightly damp (water only) terry towel, allow to dry, prime, and paint in about one-hour.

STAIRS:

Unfortunately, the primer recommended for your handrails is not suitable for walking surfaces.

This project requires either a flooring primer followed by flooring paint, or a self-priming paint intended for floors.

In this case, I prefer the latter ... Glidden Porch and Floor Oil-based High Gloss in the color of your choice.

This product is very durable and is self-priming on wood, so simply brush or roll two dense coats; waiting six-hours between.

NOTE:

When using oil products, make long, flowing strokes instead of that familiar back and forth brush stroke.

Oil paints are self-leveling, so if you see an imperfection, resist the urge to reach in and fix it.

Simply allow the product to dry six-hours and most of the imperfections will settle out of the surface. 

Buff sand any that remain with 220-grit and then touch up the spot.

Posted 2013-06-20T11:53:18+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+