Sign In to join the community | Help
Customer Care

What are the details on the Military Discount Program

My Home Depot that I visit on a regular basis is implementing a new system/policy for military discounts. They want you to enter a separate system at the customer service counter. What information are they asking for? Wouldn't it just be easier to tie your Home Depot Pro account (or equivalent) to your DD-214? Or use the https://www.id.me/ website like Lowes does? The information it looks like they want could be used for identity theft. Shouldn't proof be approved by a local manager?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-01-27T17:13:55+0000  by PilotBilly PilotBilly

I'm not a Home Depot associate but last I heard Home Depot only offers a discount to active duty or retired military personnel.  That discount only applies to regularly priced, instore purchases.  Home Depot also offers a discount to all former military personnel on a few holidays like Memorial Day and 4th of July.

I believe that Lowe's offers a discount to all current and former military personnel by tying their service information to their "MyLowe's" card, mostly to streamline things at the register.  I believe the information regarding service is verified by a third party.  I'm not sure what limits are on the discount.

What I find fascinating is that my mother is apparently eligible for a discount at Lowe's because 75 years ago my father, who has been dead for 20 years, served in WWII.
Posted 2019-01-27T23:08:19+0000  by Adam444
The only information required to get a military discount is a valid military ID.  This can be handled at any checkout register.  Cashiers process the discount.

You would likely not be able to find much if any information about military discounts on homedepot.com as this benefit is only available in stores.  Let me share with you what information I have on how this discount policy is handled at our retail stores.

Every Day Match Policy: 10% discount for all active-duty, reserve, retiree and disabled service members, and their dependents, from the six U.S. military branches: Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, National Guard (Air and Army), and Navy

Holiday Match Policy:  10% discount to ALL military personnel during many national holidays such as July 4th, Memorial Day, and Veteran’s Day as a tribute to their service.  In addition to the above personnel, it includes honorably discharged veterans.

§ Only available for In-Store purchases and does not apply to online transactions

§ A valid Military ID must be presented at the time of purchase in-store

§ The owner of the ID must be the purchaser present

§ IDs cannot be sent electronically and will not be reviewed

§ Not applicable on previous purchases and an adjustment cannot be made in store for an online purchase.

§ The 10% discount is for in-stock and special-order purchases up to $5,000.

Restrictions:

Discount cannot be used on sales at Homedepot.com, on previous sales, on sales of services, including freight, delivery, or labor SKUs or on gift cards. The discounts cannot be combined with other promotions or on previous purchases. Holiday or Everyday Matching Military discounts are for personal use only and the transaction is not to be affiliated with a Job Name or Pro Key tag and is not to be paid for with a commercial credit card or GSA account. SKU Exclusions: Many of the products we sell have a unique pricing model, including commodity goods. As commodity prices fluctuate, we will at times exclude certain SKUs within specific departments from receiving the military discount.

Chris.

Posted 2019-01-29T16:10:17+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Chris_HD_CHI can you please clarify what is meant by "valid military ID"? obviously active duty and retired government issued ID's but how about VA ID, DD-214, State ID with the veteran identifier? some Vets seem to be turned away due to what ID they have access to. For example: Honorably discharged combat vets without service connected disability can not get any of these ID's except DD-214 and (in some states) the state ID with Veteran identifier. so if you don't except the government issued form to prove military service, the DD-214 you are turning away Vets because of an easy to fix corporate policy or in this case lack there of. Which to me means you don't care about the vets, you care about public appearances.

Posted 2019-02-10T04:27:41+0000  by LazyMike
Honorably discharged veterans should not be "turned away" on Holidays when they are eligilble for the 10% discount.  The DD214 discharge form would show an honorable discharge.
Posted 2019-02-12T15:21:23+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+