Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

What are the options to cool a garage?

Hi everyone!  First time post.  I'm looking at moving in the next few months and wanted to dedicate part of my house to a home gym.  The garage is a sensible place, so I don't have to dedicate a bedroom or game room to it full time.  However, in South Texas, that would make it unusable during the summer hours due to the heat.  Short of a full scale conversion to finished space with ducting and insulation, what are the options for cooling unfinished space?  I was thinking of something like a through-the-wall A/C unit so it could just be turned on for the hours I'm in there working out and left off the rest of the day, but really am not sure where to start.  If the garage doesn't already have a window for a window A/C, what else can be done?  Also, how much of an expense are the different options?  Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-21T05:28:28+0000  by DamionW DamionW

I use a portable AC unit that works great.    LG Electronics 9,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with Dehumidifier Function (72 Pint/Day) and Remote Control

portable AC.JPG

Keep in mind that you may want to turn the unit on about an hour prior to the work out.  Also, use an industrial fan to help circulate the cooler air.

Ventamatic 20 in. High-Velocity Floor Fan

Posted 2013-04-21T16:14:51+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Thanks.  So with a setup like that, how do you vent the unit's exhaust outside the garage?  Does it come with ducting?  If so, where should that be run to?

Posted 2013-04-22T00:29:23+0000  by DamionW

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+