Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

What color grout should I choose for my tile?

Hey everyone,

One of the #1 questions I get asked in my tile aisle when assisting customers at my store is:

"What colorgrout should I choose for my tile?"

groutwheel.JPG

"There are SO many, what looks the best?"

It seems like a tough decision sometimes, and even with taking samples home to look at still seems a bit daunting, but I'm here to tell you that it really comes down to several simple choices when it comes to grouting your new tile.

Or maybe you just want to remodel with a fresh look if you are in the market for redoing/renewing your tile projects.

While I personally never give a customer a straight answer for the right grout for them... you can be guided into narrowing down the right grout thats perfect for the look you want by thinking over a few things regarding where/how/what you want your grout to perform and look.

Ask yourself these questions before picking a grout color:

• Do I want a neutral color for my grout? I'm selling my house and I want the floors/backsplash to appeal to everyone.

• Do I want a grout color to contrast my tile? I want the tiles to look like they are framed in, and be bold and/or give it a contemporary look.

• Do I want a color to blend into the tiles to give it a uniform look? I have a almond color marble, if I pick a almond non-sanded grout on my countertops to give it a look like its one big piece.

• Is this grout going to be in a high-traffic area with wide grout joints? My kitchen gets a lot of foot traffic, and I don't like the thought of cleaning my grout every time one foot steps over it, a dark should work.

• Does my tile have many colors and can I pick one accent color from my tile to harmonize with my grout? I have a multi-colored slate wall tile and I'd like pick out the rustic red instead of the grey to better balance out the tile/grout on my walls.

After you've answered one of those questions that worked best for you, then take a sample pamphlet of our grout colors at your local Home Depot's tile aisle. Placing a sample beside the actual tile in the lighting of your own home also can greatly assist in getting the right color for your grout.

Below is the sample of what I was talking about that you can pick up at the store.

I'm going to include this link below that will help you out online for more specific grout solutions as well:

Custom Grout Solutions

Getting the right information, know-how, and honestly a physical sample in your house can greatly reduce the guesswork out of choosing grout colors. And remember, always use non-sanded grout for joints up to 1/8" thick (typically walls, backsplashes, countertops) and sanded grout for joints 1/8" or thicker (typically floors).

Use our silicone grout caulks to seal up around areas where the tiles meet the walls, like in a shower surround. Sealant is the key too to ensure a long life for your tile/grout projects, but lets save that for another post :smileyvery-happy:

Happy grouting everyone!

aboveaveragejoe

groutchart.JPG

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-03-07T21:34:21+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL Joseph_HD_ATL

Topic
Categories+