Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

What is the best way to get a damp smell out of a cement basement

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-10T04:13:36+0000  by yvettejackson43 yvettejackson43

Greetings yvettejackson43,

The smell of a damp basement is unsettling to say the least!

I have a few product suggestions that may help your stinky situation:

Damp rid.png

Damprid will actually pull moisture from the the environment where it  placed, and absorbs odors!

gonzo.png

Gonzo is another product that pulls, and absorbs odor from the atmosphere !

You may want to conceder investing in a De-Humidifier!  There has got to be a reason that your basement smells damp, and most likely it is because of the moisture that is trapped down there!

De-Humidifiers are great and you will be amazed at just how much moisture it will pull from your stinky cellar.

Once the moisture is remove the odor from your basement will totally improve!

dehumidifier.pngsmall dehumidifier.png

I highly recommend that you check out The Home Depots wide selection of De-humidifiers available online and instore. Some of the models have a pump built right in so it can drain right  into a utility sink!

http://www.homedepot.com/s/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?keyword=dehumidifiers&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=SEARCH%2bALL

The Gonzo and the Damprid are just a tempory fix, to your dampness problem, a De-humidifier will be the correct solution in the long run, I feel!

If the weather permits,and you have sceens, open the windows, and door, and let fresh air flow through the basement for a few hours.  Always monitor the openings you dont want any unwelcomed visitors big or small!

I have a 45 pint De-humidifier in my old basement and I empty it every afternoon and use the water for my flower contianers, it works out great!  Good luck, please let me know what you decide to try!   Maureen

Posted 2013-10-10T15:20:54+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Maureen is soo right yvettejackson43!

I visited a property just yesterday where the crawl space becomes damp when we have ongoing rain ... this summer has been much more rain than usual.

Several years ago, I installed a dehumidifier next to the air conditioning blower so the collected moisture can drip into the AC condensation pump and be removed from the crawl space. This prevents me from having to manually empty collected water.

In addition, I installed two fans ... one on either side of the crawl space both blowing counterclockwise to create circulating air flow.

These fans are set to run during the daylight hours when the air temperature is higher, which helps evaporate moisture.

The combination of circulating air flow and dehumidifier has been so effective that the crawl space stays very dry ... even when rain is in excess, like this summer.

Upon inspection yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised that the area remains moisture-free and odor-free as well.

So take Maureen's advice ... add a dehumidifier, but take it one step further by adding a fan or fans to circulate the air as well.

Your results will be outstanding!

NOTE:

I encounter homeowners who have closed air conditioning vents in their unused rooms in an effort to "save energy."

Many do not realize that cutting off the air flow is actually the source of their moisture problem ... AC units remove moisture as part of the cooling process.

If the rooms in your home smell damp, make certain your AC vents are open and turn on a fan to help evaporate moisture.

Although shutting vents may reduce your cooling bill, it can also damage your carpet, walls, and furniture if moisture is allowed to collect ... resulting in no savings at all.

Keep your AC vents open and turn on fans ... together they ensure that moisture will not have a chance to build-up in your home.

Follow up and let us know how your solve your moisture problem.

Posted 2013-10-10T17:03:37+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

You might want to check out this website: www.concrobium.com. This is an odorless, perfectly safe, non-toxic liquid which is intended for mold and mildew odor control. It is sold at Home Depot in thew Paint Department which the other mold remediation products.

By the way, the water from your de-humidfier is de-mineralized and can be used in your steam iron etc.

My former home in Chicago had a deep basement and had no mildew smell. Even though it was not completely finished down there, I left all the heat/air-conditioning vents open to keep the space completely in the house "envelope".

The furnace/AC circulating goes a long way to keep the basement space dry. In cold climates, the problem in Winter is to keep the air moist enough! Many homes will have humidifiers built into the furnace duct.

In short, keep the area warm and air moving, as Pat has pointed out. Remember, as the temperature goes up, the relative humidity goes down. Mildew needs moisture to thrive.

Posted 2013-10-10T17:08:35+0000  by ordjen

Just to dogpile on some more information that Maureen, Pat, and Ordjen have already discussed, we have a pretty lengthy post regarding mold removal techniques in a basement already here on our forums.

In the thread you'll find items like Ordjen has discussed, like Concrobium but also mold foggers and the use of lime.

Click here to read it, it really has a lot of additional useful information.

Regards,

Joseph

Posted 2013-10-12T18:41:26+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+