Sign In to join the community | Help
Plumbing

What is the best way to heat a garage to keep the pipes from bursting AGAIN in this cold weather?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-09T19:47:11+0000  by te te

The quickest and easiest way to heat a garage enough to prevent freezing, is by use of an electric heater with a thermostat. Electric heat is not cheap, but you do not have to bring the garage up to room temperatures, just somewhat above freezing. However, depending on the size of the heating unit, you will possibly need access to 220volt power. An electrician can usually do this in short order, especially, as is  so often, the service panel is in the garage.

A bonus of installing a good size unit is that it gives you a work space to make a mess during those long cold winters. You might want to consider how well your garage in insulated too. Those pipes should not have frozen were they properly shielded from the cold.

Hope his has helped

Posted 2014-01-09T20:41:16+0000  by ordjen

Hey te.

This is a question that everyone here in Atlanta has been asking in the past few days, as we are not accustom to dealing with 5 degree weather. 

Here are some of the best things to do to keep pipes from freezing.

Go to each faucet in the house and have them drip whenever freezing out.

Get pipe insulation and wrap exposed pipes.

Get faucet covers and cover the exterior faucets. 

Put  Heat Tape on the pipes.

Get a space heater and put it in the garage.

If your garage is attached to your living space like mine, then you leave the door going to the living space open and let the heat come into the garage. You do not have to to get the garage warm, you just have to get it above freezing. I did this and my pipes were fine when everyone else pipes burst.

One other thing that can be overlooked can be a well pump. At the store, once we sold out of space heaters, we were selling the spike flood light holders and 90 watt Halogen spot lights. These put off enough heat to keep a well pump thawed as long as there is a thawed well house and its not ridiculously cold.

Hit me back here with any other questions that I can answer for you.

Posted 2014-01-09T21:24:55+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

If the plumbing in danger of freezing is localized and visible, an infra-red spot light can be used to heat the surface of those pipes. Infra-red only heats that which it shines on. Little energy is wasted in heating air in the room. These are the same type lights that are found on many bathroom ceilings to keep the bather comfortable when they are wet and cool after showering.

Posted 2014-01-10T05:11:12+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+