Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Answered

What is the best way to paint iron?

I have an iron panel on my front door.   It's black but the color has faded.  I want repaint it black.  

Should I strip or sand it first?  If so, what's the best way to do that?

Is it better to spray paint it or use a brush?

Thanks.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-01-30T00:28:49+0000  by JBlanchard JBlanchard

Hi JBlanchard,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

If the paint is faded but still bonded firmly to the door, you can tack sand the surface to allow the new topcoat proper adhesion.

Again, this is only if it hasn't shown signs of chipping or detachment from the door. If you do see this, then you can use fine grade steel wool or sandpaper rated at about 80 grit.

To get the absolute best top coat for the door, prep the surface as previously mentioned, and then use an exterior grade primer rated for metal.

The primer will work two-fold; it will go over and cover the existing old black paint, and it will create a suitable base for the newer black topcoat paint.

One quart will be more than enough to cover since one will cover roughly 100 square feet. Personally, I recommend the primer, even after sanding the surface. It means that the new paint will hold up for a lot longer. 

Once  you use the primer (it can be tinted grey) and it dries, you can now use a high quality high sheen paint rated for exterior use. A high gloss looks and performs well if applied carefully either with a a brush or roller.

And yes, you can spray it, provided the sprayer uses an extender used with it for even coating. In fact, using an extender (like Floetrol) slows the drying time down of the paint, which reduces the appearances of roller/brush/spray marks. 

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Best Answer

Posted 2016-01-30T15:48:47+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+