Sign In to join the community | Help

What is the best way to remove layers of paint from old plaster walls?

I live in a 100 year old house with plaster walls and there are layers of paint. I am going to test for lead before i remove the layers but i want to know what the most effiecient way to remove the layers of paint?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-09-11T15:17:43+0000  by ambryant86 ambryant86

Welcome to our community Ambryant86!


If the lead test is negative, you can remove the paint chemically with Ready-Strip Pro. This is a paint stripper that will remove up to 10 layers of paint on your plaster walls. Don't forget to wear chemical resistant gloves, eye protection and a mask when working with this product! You will also want to open the windows or at least have a fan going to keep the air circulating in the room.


If you have anymore questions, please let us know! 


Christine :)

Posted 2013-09-11T17:36:47+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL



If you use stripper on your walls, you are asking for an immense amount of mess, expense  and work! Layers of old paint, of themselves, don't hurt anything if they are tight. What  specifically is your complaint?  Peeling?  Too much texture? Such problems can be delt with short of stripping. Old walls can be sanded, flattened, topped off with drywall comound, etc. Also not fun, but FAR less mess and work than trying to remove the old paint.


Even if lead paint is present, it is buried under several layers of non-lead containing paint. Lead paint has been illegal to sell  for 35 years!  One can easily believe that if present, is is covered by 3 or 4 coats of non-lead paint. Even sanding would probably not reach the underlying lead.


Just a few musings of an ol' painting contractor.

Posted 2013-09-12T01:52:53+0000  by ordjen

Hello ambryant86!


This debate is similar to an earlier thread about removing wallpaper from plaster walls.


Click the link to see their solution.

Posted 2013-09-12T11:41:38+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question