Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

What is the best way to remove old wallpaper in order to paint afterwards?

I removed one layer only to find another layer of hideous wallpaper. I want to paint....what is the best method for removal?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-06T19:08:42+0000  by Poorej Poorej

Wallpaper is one of those things in life that fall under "I thought it was a good idea at the time" category :smileyvery-happy:

I have been removing wallpaper and painting in place for many years now - and rarely encountered the same situation twice.

A lot of times the outcome depends solely on the technique the paper hanger did or did not do that dictates what steps to take.

Below are just a few of the most common solutions:

Complete removal - pull off the top layer of paper to expose the glued layer, wet with warm water and DIF solution, and scrape off with a putty knife. Several layers may require a Paper Tiger to score the wallpaper - allowing the warm solution to seep in and loosen the glue.

Just say NO! -  I have found that if the paper is extremely difficult to remove, then I stop and decide to prime the existing paper with an OIL-BASED primer, patch any inconsistencies with patching compound, sand, and paint.

Priming - Always use an OIL-BASED primer to seal any brown drywall paper or glue residue left on the surface.  Latex primer will not work and will cause problems in the future.

Posted 2013-10-06T19:46:20+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+