Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

What is this?

What kind a bug is this? My friend found it in the bathtub, she lives in Eire pa

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-10-17T15:53:12+0000  by Prince_Of_GardenHD02 Prince_Of_GardenHD02
Howdy Prince_Of_Garden02,

From the looks of the photo you posted what you have is a Camel Cricket. They belong to the Subfamily Rhaphidophorinae of which the most common genera is Ceuthophilus.

These crickets are wingless with a hump shaped body, hence the name Camel Cricket, and have long thick hind femora (primary segment of the the rear leg). The body of this particular specimen was slightly less than 20 mm in length.

These Crickets are found in caves, basements, under rocks and logs, as well as other moist and dark habitats.

To control them you can use diatomaceous earth. Just spread it around areas where crickets congregate. The sharp, microscopic diatoms work their way into crickets’ limb joints and in between segment plates and also scrape off the protective layer of wax on the crickets’ exoskeletons.

If you have more questions feel free to ask.

Happy Hunting,
Coach Dave
Posted 2016-10-17T18:34:00+0000  by Dave_HD_OC
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question