Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

What kind of occupancy sensor can I use in a bedroom with a ceiling fan/ light?

I have a dormitory full of young men. I am trying to save money on the energy bill by installing occupancy sensors. However, the dorms have ceiling fans.  Some of the residents like the fan to stay on while they sleep. I don't have a problem with that and don't want them to have to move around in order to keep the fan running...But I don't want them to leave the light on when they are not in the room. Is there an occupancy sensor that can detect humans when they are not moving? I am under the impression infrared motion detectors requires movement.,   Is that true?  What options do I have? What do you recommend.  

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-28T01:36:34+0000  by wmccoy510 wmccoy510

Stupid question: could you run the ceiling fan to aseparate on/off switch?

Posted 2013-06-28T02:13:14+0000  by Bluedogs92

I don't think there is an occupancy sensor that just senses body heat, they need motion.  Now people move when they sleep but who knows if that would be enough, even with a roomful of people.  Leviton makes a timer that can be preset in half hour increments up to 16 hours but I'm not really sure that solves the problem.

Remember too that most jurisdictions limit electrical work in multifamily dwellings to licensed electricians.  I'm assuming a dorm would be considered multifamily

Posted 2013-06-28T13:44:35+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+