Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

What kind of paint do I need to use to paint a metal door

HI,

I am needing to paint my front door and it it metal.  I have painted it before but the paint keeps chipping off.  It is in direct sun light most of the day and I thought maybe that had something to do with it or maybe I have been using the wrong paint.  Can you help me with this issue?

Thanks

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-29T17:30:41+0000  by kfloyd09 kfloyd09

Welcome to our community Kfloyd09!

I’m sorry you are having trouble painting your door. Sometimes metal can be tough to paint. :smileysad:

The most ideal way to paint metal is to use oil based paint.  Rust-Oleum, Glidden and Behr all have oil based paints available. The Rust-Oleum oil- based paint come pre-tinted. Glidden’s “Trim and Door” paint is an extra high gloss, gel paint and also comes pre-tinted.  Behr’s oil based paint comes in a semi-gloss finish and can be tinted to any Behr color. Since you are having a really hard time getting anything to stick to your door, I would recommend highly that you use an exterior grade, oil based primer.

If painting your door with oil based paint doesn’t sound appealing to you, you can use an exterior latex based paint. However, you will have to use an oil based, exterior primer before you paint. Since you mentioned that you are in direct sun most of the day, I would highly recommend using a paint that is fade resistant. The Behr Ultra and the Behr Marquee both have superior fade resistant qualities. Both of these products are a paint and primer in one. Marquee is the upgraded version of Ultra, if you will. Marquee does everything that Ultra does, but better.

Good luck with your door. Hopefully this time around you have better luck!

If you have any more questions, please let us know!

Christine   :smileyhappy:

Posted 2013-05-29T19:22:49+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL
Hello Kfloyd09!

Most exterior paints require application between 50- and 90-degrees Fahrenheit.

When applied outside this range, the paint cures too fast (in heat) or doesn't cure at all (in cold).

In either case, the durability of the coating is lost because of the cure rate.

In addition, metal is a surface that does not allow paints to cling well ... by themselves.

In every case when painting a metal door, I would recommend using a high-quality metal primer first.

Primer acts like double-stick tape for paint ... it clings to the surface and allows paint to cling well also.

How To:
Start by removing the existing coating with 150-grit sandpaper.

Remove the sanding dust and then wipe the surface with a clean terry towel which is slightly damp with denatured alcohol.

The alcohol will remove any remaining dust and will evaporate completely; leaving the surface ready to prime.

Prime with Clean Metal Primer from Rust-Oleum and then use two coats of an exterior oil-based paint for your finished coat.

You might choose from several of the ready-mix colors from Rust-Oleum or make the color of choice in Behr Oil-based Semi-gloss.

Improve your chances for success by completing this project in a medium temperature when the door is not in direct sunlight.
Posted 2014-06-24T22:07:24+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Hello again kfloyd09!

While you're working on your metal door, don't forget to update your metal patio furniture.
Posted 2015-05-28T21:49:47+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Faced with a constantly chipping or peeling door, I would elect to strip it down to bare metal using chemical strippers. Once down to bare metal, I would use a self-etching metal primer, such as available in RustOleum spray cans. This would "eat" into the metal giving a really tight bond. It would also leave an even,  brushstroke free foundation for the finish coat, either oil or latex.

There are pros and cons to using an oil or acrylic base finish coat. Oils form a very hard, smooth surface. Unfortunately, they tend to oxidize and fade in sunshine with time. Acyrlic ( latex) paints do not form that surface fading/oxidation as do oils. Of course, they do clean up easier as their solvent is common water, rather than mineral spirits.

No paint should be painted in full sunshine, but acrylic paints are extremely difficult to handle on a warm or hot surface. Too fast drying degrades the appearance and long term durability of the paint. Too warm air temperatures and too much wind are not desirable when painting either, as both unduly speed up the drying. High humidity can actually be beneficial with acrylic paints, as it slows the dyring.
Posted 2015-06-02T05:13:22+0000  by ordjen
Hey kfloyd09,

Choosing the right brush is one of the most important considerations after removing the flake and selecting quality paint.

This thread and related video will help you understand How To Choose The Right Paint Brush.
Posted 2015-06-04T15:36:07+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+