Sign In to join the community | Help

What kind of wire to choose for a table that will have power outlets?

I am trying to wire a big table at work, we are installing leviton power outlets that also contain USB ports, we need these for when we have meetings, it's a big table and the legs and the frame is hollow so I can easily run a wire through it, on the bottom, it has an exit towards the bottom of the leg, I need to install a 3 prong plug in the end by the leg, run the wire and install 4 of those outlets with USB ports, I am just curious as to what kind of wire could I use just to be on the safe side, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-07-07T05:36:13+0000  by FixMix FixMix
This is an interesting question because the electric code typically concerns itself with "permanent" wiring, the kind you typically find inside of walls.  My initial thought would be that you need to protect whatever wiring system you use from physical damage.  Don't assume that just because the leg of a table is hollow that's it is suitable for running wire through it.  Electrical conduit is specially made so that there aren't any burrs inside that could damage the wire.  If this is a metal table and a wire is nicked, you run the chance of energizing the entire table.

Because you are in the workplace, have the potential for liability claims and may fall under the jurisdiction of government agencies like OSHA, it would probably be a really good idea to have the work done by a licensed electrician.
Posted 2015-07-07T08:54:45+0000  by Adam444
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question