Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

What product do I use to resurface a brick foundation, and how do I apply it?

I live in an old farmhouse with a brick foundation that had been gone over with some kind of masonry veneer. I need to resurface over the bricks. What product do I use, and how do I apply it?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-08T22:33:34+0000  by lostwolf lostwolf

Howdy lostwolf,

While there is more than one way to resurface brick, everyone will agree that you need to clean the surface of the brick before applying any new product. The good news is that one of our experts has addressed this situation in a previous post. This link will take you to the "how and what" of tackling such a project.

brickfroundat.jpg

As for what product to use?, well Type S mortar is known for its strength and is used outdoors. Patios, foundations, and retaining walls all use Type S, which is known for its ability to absorb most impacts. Type S is still an easy product to work with, but homeowners should have some experience working with brick before beginning any type of project that requires this product. Here are some pointers on using Type S mortar.

typs0.jpg  9cf4e225-6abb-4a03-9d26-430e532a7f9a_1000.jpg typs2.jpg

PREPARATION:
When laying new brick or block walls first construct a sound footing below the frost line. When repairing mortar joints or stucco, remove all loose and foreign material. Dampen areas to be repaired just prior to application.
MIXING:
Empty contents into a mortar box, wheelbarrow or mechanical mixer. When mixing by hand, form a crater for adding water. Add clean water according to the table below or enough to achieve a workable mix. If too stiff, add more water a little at a time. AVOID A SOUPY MIX. Excess water reduces strength and durability and can cause cracking. In cold weather use warm water to accelerate the set. Use cold water to slow the set in hot weather. Re-tempering impairs performance.
PLACEMENT:
When laying brick or block, butter the end with mortar before placing into a full bed of mortar. Tap into place while leveling. When tuck pointing mortar joints, place material in the joint with a pointing trowel and compact. Allow the newly placed material to set about 1 hour until the surface is thumb print hard before striking with a jointer tool. When repairing stucco apply the material using a plasterer’s hawk and trowel using enough pressure to completely fill and compact the material.
FINISHING:
Dress mortar joints with a joint tool. Texture stucco to match the surrounding area using a plasterer’s trowel.
CURING:
In hot weather lightly dampen the material as needed to promote adequate curing. In cold weather adequately cover and keep from freezing for a minimum of 24 hours.
CAN BE PAINTED
Using an alkali resistant lime proof paint usually within 7 days provided the masonry is dry.

Happy resurfacing,

Posted 2013-12-27T00:39:27+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+