Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Answered

What products do I need to texture paint my kitchen and baths? Instructions please.

I want to texture paint my kitchen and baths to cover flaws from removing wallpaper.  Please list the products I will need and instructions.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-27T11:46:40+0000  by thaclerk141 thaclerk141

Hello thaclerk141,

Venetian Plaster comes immediately to mind when customers ask for an easy way to texture their walls.

The product can be mixed in several colors shown in the texture paint brochure on the Behr display.

No brush is required.

The product is thick, like plaster, and the color is added before application ... relatively simple!

Prep the walls with a coat of oil-based primer, tinted to be similar to the new color. Dry about two-hours.

Apply the first coat using a trowel held at a fifteen- to thirty-degree angle ... making very small ridges.

Expect 100- to 150-square feet per gallon (much less coverage than paint).

Dry overnight.

Apply the second coat with the same trowel held at a sixty- to ninety-degree angle ... making larger ridges.

Dry overnight.

Use the same trowel or 400-grit sandpaper to "burnish" the surface.

This step cuts the high spots and exposes a slightly darker secondary color underneath ... making a faux finish that is slightly textured and multi-colored.

Clean up sanding dust and enjoy.

NOTE:

My contractors tell me that this product is very durable. Use a water-based clear coat to add protection.

FINALLY:

Behr also offers textured paint, but Venetian is much easier and contains the color.

In addition, textures can be sprayed onto the wall to create "knock-down" finishes ... but Venetian still gets my vote over these products.

Ask your Paint Associate for their opinion.

Best Answer

Posted 2013-05-28T13:26:56+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question.  I really love your answer.  It makes it seem simple enough.  God Bless!

Posted 2013-05-28T13:32:59+0000  by thaclerk141

Thanks for the Approved Solution thaclerk141!

Often, when I assist customers, they choose Venetian Plaster because it offers a straightforward approach.

Hope you find the results pleasing!

NOTE:

Try purchasing a two-foot square of repair sheetrock and trying your application technique as a test before completing the full project. Often, simple trials help you develop techniques that prove beneficial.

Posted 2013-05-28T13:44:19+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Good idea!  Thanks again!

Posted 2013-05-28T14:02:02+0000  by thaclerk141

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+