Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

What should I do with this carpet?

Hi everyone! We have moved to a house that has carpet. I must say, the condition of the carpet is terrible. I don't know if I should buy a new one or just clean this up. People who lived here before had dogs and cats that peed on it.I'm not fond of pets so I don't have one.  I would like to get suggestions. Is there any DIY solution for this? Or should I consult a cleaning professional for it?  Should I consult them straightaway or is there any machine or chemical that I should try  myself.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-07-14T05:10:57+0000  by DaliaMist DaliaMist

Hello DaliaMist and welcome to the Community.

I am not big on living with the legacy of prior owner’s pet residue.  Determining how much damage has been done to the padding as well as the carpet itself is a big unknown.  How deep down clean can a professional, clean the carpet? I would get an estimate on how much it would cost to have the carpet professionally cleaned.  After doing so, I would compare that cost, to cost of new carpet install.  Often times Home Depot has special rate on whole house installs that are very reasonable.

If I were planning on doing some remodeling and painting in the near future I would probably rent the carpet cleaner for the interim period and then replace the carpeting down the road a bit.  Most Home Depots stores have a Tool Rental Department that rent carpet cleaners.

Even though new carpeting may seem like a big investment, knowing what is under your feet will provide peace that will last for many years.

I personally my opinion if I could afford it, I would be to replace the carper.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Charlotte.

Posted 2015-07-14T16:59:50+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Absolutely agree with Char, DaliaMist!

Most efforts to clean pet urine through existing carpet and pad will only re-wet the pet residue and activate another round of odor.

When you remove the carpet and pad, take time to use pet odor neutralizers and then prime the entire area using oil-based primer.

Two coats will seal the surface and prevent either the stain or the odor from coming back through.

Primer dries in about one-hour, so you shouldn't need an extended timeline to complete this repair.

Then allow your installer to replace both pad and carpet.

You'll be repeatedly happy that you did!
Posted 2015-07-30T17:53:22+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+