Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

What should the dimensions of a footing for a brick wall, 9' x 18 feet be?

I'm redoing a brick facade on one wall of my garage. How wide and deep should the footing be?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-26T18:22:45+0000  by gberger gberger

Hello gberger and welcome to the community!

Hopefully you you haven't started your project or you have completed it and all is well, sorry for the delay in responding. 

Typically the footing are to be twice as wide as the wall, for example, if the wall is 12" thick then the footing would need to be 24" wide. This formula may be altered by the village building department, I recommend you speak with them before doing anything, or at least check with a Structural Engineer. 

If you are redoing the brick facade with new bricks couldn't you use the old footing, or is that crumbling? Anyway, I found something that might help you with this project, it's from the Brick Industry Association, and you might find it very helpful. 

Adding Brick Veneer to Existing Construction

bricks.PNG

Posted 2013-12-05T15:23:53+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Thanks, better late than never....

The house was built in 1925, but that's no excuse for the footing. When we got down to it it was barely distinguishable from the surrounding dirt. They must have used a mix that was mostly sand to squeeze a few nickels. We ended up digging a new one. 17 bags of hand-mixed concrete and we were done. This one should last a little longer...

Posted 2013-12-06T00:52:07+0000  by gberger

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+