Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

What to do with a wood window over tub after installing showerhead

Hi everyone, 

Last one (for now) I promise!  

I intend to install a showerhead in the wall where a bathtub is now, there is a panel behind the faucets to access the pipes so I think the showerhead install will not be all that hard.  The question is how to handle a large wood window in the tub/shower to prevent water issues, there is also a wood cabinet in the wall at the end of the shower.  House is ~1924 with pretty much all period everything.

Window is 27" wide x 37" high measured from inside trim.

Ideas for the window are to either remove it entirely or fill it in, we'd like to tile the wall, so would consider filling in the window and tiling it.  But we would like to keep a small rectangle window at the top, maybe 8-12 inches high.  Also need to install a vent, should we use a portion of the window and just direct it straight out?  Or should we vent through the wall or up through the cieling and out the side, this is the top floor and there is crawl space attic space above.

Really any ideas you have on this project are welcomed and appreciated, including suggestions I haven't mentioned.  I basically just want to prevent water damage from water spraying over that old wood window every day, thanks!  Pictures below:

SHOWER1.jpg

shower2.jpg

shower3.jpg

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-03-21T23:52:54+0000  by amosher13 amosher13

amoshar13,

Wood does not belong in a location where it will regularly be subjected to high humidity and  water. The opening of the present window could be used for a high mounted narrow casement or awning type window.  A plastic window can be custom made to the exact width of the rough opening of the old window. The tile should then be installed high enought to completely surround and wrap into the window frame, The sill should be tilted slightly inward for drainage.

In my former home, I installed a slider window high over the shower where one had not been in the windowless bathroom. It functioned quite will, even in Chicago's sometime fridgid climate.

Similarly, the wooden cabinet must go. The recess could be retained buy completely tiling it. Fixed glass or tile shelves can be installed to hold shower items.

A bathroom powered vent should be installed and vented to the exterior. This is actually present building code. Formerly a window in a bath was considered adequate, but no more. Did the old code really think a naked , wet showerer  would open the window when it was -10 degrees out!

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-03-22T04:36:12+0000  by ordjen
Would be a great place for glass block with vent on top. Would give you light, privacy and venting.
Posted 2013-03-22T05:05:43+0000  by osseopaint

I am not sure glass block would be in keeping with the apparent craftsman style of the existing woodwork.

A custom made plastic window could be made to fill the existing window openng also, but again, with an overhead awning type window section. Obscuring glass would be used. I would be concerned with a double hung window of where the water might run, possibly to the outside. Better that the lower part of the window be fixed glass.

I was thinking that white subway tile might look style appropriate in the house. A dark brown border tile might be used to replicate the lines of the existing casings and frame around the window.

Just a few musings

Posted 2013-03-22T17:21:48+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+