Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

What type of drywall should be used for a ceiling?

We're planning on remodeling or, in some aspects finishing, sections of our house. Currently our living room has no ceiling. There are the support beams and wooden slats from the second floor but no insulation or anything. My question is for a flat ceiling what type of insulation is best as well as what type of drywall we need, or would be best?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-12T05:06:16+0000  by xxcdls xxcdls

Hello xxcdls and welcome to the community!


First for your drywall question, usually 1/2" drywall would suffice for most towns, but you would need to check with your local building code to confirm, it might be 5/8" drywall. 


For ceiling insulation, it will depend on the size of the ceiling joist, are they 2x10 or 2x12? Measure the depth you have and that will determine the thickness of the fiberglass insulation, it's okay to have a little bit of space. 


Fiberglass insulation for horizontal applications come in two ways, rolls & batts. Rolls are long strips of insulation rolled into bales. You measure the length you need and cut it off with a utility knife. Rolls are best for covering large open areas, like attics and floors. Batts are pre-cut lengths of fiberglass insulation. Batts are available unfaced, or with aluminum foil or kraft paper facing.


Also measure between the beams to determine the insulation width, and go with either kraft or foil faced. You can staple the insulation to the joist from below, and install the foil or kraft paper side towards you. Once you have finished insulating, then you want to apply a sheet of plastic covering the fiberglass. Then install your drywall for the final layer. 


Posted 2013-08-15T20:18:01+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question