Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

What type of grass seed would be best for a lawn a black lab will be in.

Looking for a grass that can handle a dog.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-05-03T01:58:21+0000  by Kazm Kazm

Greetings Kazm,

Having a dog, and a lawn….. Is dream that I hope will come true for you!

Dogs are tough on turf, between their constant traffic patterns and the urine output that happens occasionally, it is a constant struggle to keep things green.

Not knowing what region of the country you are in makes it bit difficult to recommend the best mix, but I recommend for a southern warm temperature grass: Bermuda grass is a high traffic tolerant seed; and for northern temperature dog lawn a mix with a high content of Tall Fescue is the best!

It is very difficult to establish any kind of a lawn when you have a dog that loves to run and be outside, and black labs love the outdoors!

You are blessed to have a wonderful dog, keep dreaming of a beautiful lawn!

Best of luck and let us know how things are growing,    Maureen

Posted 2016-05-03T15:41:27+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS
Hey Kazm.

As a yard person and dog lover I can feel your pain. I have 2 sweet yellow labradors named Lantana and Remington. I also have grass and a huge hosta garden back there. There is no grass that will survive labradors but their traffic patterns can be trained with a little manipulation. I say this because I had to keep the dogs out of the hosta in order for them to come up. My dogs are not the ambitious type that want to escape the yard. They go play for a while and then come in through the doggy door.

I got some wood stakes and drove them 6 inches into the ground and circled the beds with them, spacing them every 10 foot or so. I then got the yellow nylon string and tied it from stake to stake. I made it 3 rows high and it became too inconvenient to jump over so it directed them where I wanted them to go.

The key is to give them several routes to go chase squirrels conveniently without having to jump the 18 inch tall string fence. After 3 months the string fences came down, the hostas were up and the dogs trained themselves to keep on the trails. My dogs, grass and hosta live together in harmony in the back yard and I have mulched their trails.
Posted 2016-05-05T18:27:54+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+