Sign In to join the community | Help
Lumber & Composites

What type of wood should I use for track shelving?

I want to install track shelving and use lengths of wood to use for the shelves. What type of wood should I purchase to use as a shelf to hold up to at least 100 lbs?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-01-19T06:24:09+0000  by Rocksinga Rocksinga

By "track shelving" I assume you mean what are generically called "standards and brackets".
Beyond the material used for the shelving, the answer to the question is a function of the distance between the standards (uprights), the depth of the shelves, and how the weight in placed on the shelf.  For example, let's say you have two uprights 3' apart.  Placing a single box weighing 100 pounds at the middle of the span between uprights is very different than placing 5 boxes that weigh 20 pounds each spread out over the entire length of the shelf.  You also need to consider any limits imposed by the manufacturer of the shelving system.

There's a great website with a funny name - Sagulator - that will do the calculations for you.

As for choices of shelving material, many people use some kind of particle board either plain or with a factory finish, because it's relatively inexpensive.  The next step up would be plywood and depending on the type used could be finished to look like solid wood.  Real wood is certainly an option but gets pretty expensive in all but the smallest shelves.  If appearance is important, it's usually cheaper to add more uprights (decrease the span) with plywood than go with solid wood.

Posted 2017-01-19T11:28:52+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+