Sign In to join the community | Help
Plumbing

What would cause my electric hot water heater to whistle?

What would cause my electric hot water heater to whistle?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-06T14:30:47+0000  by SpartanburgRick SpartanburgRick

Hello SpartanburgRick!

As water warms, it expands and inside the container (water heater) builds up pressure.

As a safety, water heaters are manufactured with a "Pop-Off Valve."

This device prevents pressure from building too high and will "pop-off" as pressure nears a dangerous level ... releasing the pressure.

You will notice this valve has a tube which directs water outside the building to prevent anyone in the room from being scalded.

This valve is the first place I would look when locating your "whistle."

Near the bottom of the tank is a hose bib designed to periodically drain sediment that build up in the bottom of the tank.

This sediment is residue from the water that settles on the tank bottom and can cause the tank liner to wear if not removed.

A hose attached to this bib will allow you to safely transport water outside the building.

Flush your tank once or twice a year to help extend the life of your tank liner.

This hose bib is the second place I would look for your "whistle."

Finally, on top of your tank, you will find the cold water inlet and hot water outlet.

These connections may wear over time and leak ... particularly the hot or outlet side.

This is the third place I would look for your "whistle."

NOTE:

Any of these potential leak points would likely show visible signs of moisture.

If all of these points are water-tight, the tank itself may be developing a leak.

If this is the case, you may not be able to actually see the leak, but you certainly should be able to see moisture or water underneath the water heater.

SAFETY FIRST!

Because your tank creates pressure, you should shut off the water heater and allow the tank to completely cool before attempting any repair.

Posted 2013-12-09T15:00:00+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+