Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

What's growing in my planter?

I just discovered this strange white stuff growing in my planter and don't know what it is but I'm concerned because the planter houses some herbs I use to cook with. What is this and what could I use to get rid of this?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-06-05T17:00:38+0000  by Pat2465 Pat2465

Greetings Pat2465,

The white stuff growing on your wooden window box is a mold/mildew caused from the dampness on the wood.

I would remove the soil and the herb plants from the window box and put them aside while you clean the wood. Pour white vinegar into a spray bottle and spray all over the wooden window box and heavy on effected area, allow to dry. Scrub off the mold with a brush, and wear a mask while cleaning.

Once the box is completely dry, line the wooden box with plastic and puncture the bottom with small holes for drainage. Place the plants and fresh, new soil back into the boxes.

I would watch for any signs of new mold growth and do the procedure again if need be.

Start thinking about replacement window boxes for next spring, the boxes are rotting, the plastic liner will help for a while, but I believe they have done their time.
Posted 2018-06-05T19:04:14+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Hi Pat.

It appears that you have a common fungus/mold that occurs in garden soil.  This can be a result of over watering and from the decaying of your planter.  It also appears that the base of your planter is also sagging which could be a result of the degradation of your planter box.  This common fungal mold is called saprophytic fungus.

Increasing your drainage will help prevent your wood box from becoming over saturated but the fungal mold is a natural organism that lives in some potted soils.  In most cases, this mold is harmless, but you can treat it with an organic anti-fungal spray such as Dr. Earth or Daconil.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/fungicide?NCNI-5

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Rick_HD_OC

Posted 2018-06-05T19:17:02+0000  by Rick_HD_OC
That was super helpful. Thank you both so much!!
Posted 2018-06-06T17:10:16+0000  by Pat2465

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+