Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Whats the best way to cover seams and replace corners in mobile home?

My husband and I just bought a mobile home and are looking to 1. Cover the seams in the drywall that were previously covered by vertical trim pieces and 2. Cover the outside corners within the home that were also previously just covered by trim pieces.


What would be the best way to do this as I know in mobile homes its tough to get this to work and actually get the surface to look flat, would mesh tape that sticks be easier to work with than regular paper tape? Also as far as the corners go, we were originally going to try to use metal corner beads however after look more into it online that seems like it will be really hard to get it all even. I saw online some stuff called FibaTape Metal Corner tape and Im wondering if that might work better since it seems to have a more seamless edge than the metal corner bead.


We really want to make sure we do this right but dont know the best route to go, any help would be appreciated!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-06T17:35:02+0000  by BritnyK BritnyK




There is a thinner variety of self-stick fiberglass tape at Home Depot which lessens the amount of surface build up neccessary to cover the tape and blend it into the wall. The fiberglass tape works better, adheres directly to the wall and does not require the drywall mud to act as the adhesive. Again, this allows for less build up of the surface. Further, mesh tape allows you to force the mud down into the gaps right through the tape.


Paper tape can be used in the corners. It gives a sharper edge than the woven fiberglas. Where less build up is desired, I would often use white glue to glue the paper tape directly to the surface, rather than embedding it in drywall mud.


The process is otherwise very similar to normal drywall taping. Use a wide drywaller's knife and feather the mud out several inches on both side of the tape. Sand with 120 grit sandpaper on a drywall sanding block. Don't try to sand it by hand. That will result in wavy seams.  A damped sponge works well to seamlessly blend the mud into the existing surface.


As a primer for the wallpaper like surfaces found in manufactured housing, you will want a premium acrylic primer such as Gliddens "Gripper" or Behr's No.75.


Hope this has helped.

Posted 2014-01-06T18:34:30+0000  by ordjen

Thank you so much that helps a lot! This may be a stupid question and Im sorry if it is, but when you say white glue does that just mean like Elmer's glue? :)

Posted 2014-01-06T18:58:34+0000  by BritnyK

Yes, Elmer's glue is the same as white carpenter's glue.

Posted 2014-01-06T19:06:15+0000  by ordjen
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question