Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

What's the best way to remove huge chunks of excess spackle off our unfinished garage walls?

The previous owners of our house did tons of crazy things and one of them was writing all over the drywall in our garage, then slathering spackle all over it. DH and I need to remove the spackle then prime and paint the garage walls. I've been trying to scrape it off with a paint scraper, but this also takes out some of the paper on the drywall. Is there a better way to do this, or do I just keep scraping it all off then try to fix the paper later?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-06T21:16:57+0000  by diynovice diynovice

I don't see any other way than careful scraping.  I'm guessing they used ordinary drywall compound which is designed to stick to drywall.

Posted 2013-08-07T00:14:17+0000  by Adam444

Try using a system I use for getting globs of mirror mastic off drywall: score around the blob with a utility knife. You have to score completely through the outer white surface paper of the drywall Now peel back the outer paper leaving the pulpy underlying brown drywall paper. Sand the paper in an attempt to get rid of loose pulp, Now prime the brown paper with an oil based primer such as Kilz or Cover Stain. When the primer has dried, skim a thin coat or two over the rough aria with drywall "topping compound".The topping compound sands much easier than "joint compound". After the patch has dried, sand with a drywall sanding block with 100 grit paper in it, or use a sanding screen on the block.

The purpose of the oil primer is to set the pulpy paper and prevent the water in the drywall compound from festering and wrinkling up the paper. After dry and sanded, the spatches may be spot primed and painted. For an even better finish, spot prime the patches, then give the entire area a coat of primer, followed by a coat of paint.

Hope this has helped

Posted 2013-08-07T00:30:25+0000  by ordjen

I was afraid of that! :smileytongue: Guess I will get a good arm workout scraping all of it off! :)

Posted 2013-08-07T02:41:43+0000  by diynovice

ordjen- That does make sense. Thanks for posting. It's really helpful knowing how to fix those brown spots where the paper has come off!!

Thank you both SO MUCH for responding to my question!! :smileyvery-happy:

Posted 2013-08-07T02:44:33+0000  by diynovice

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+