Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Which paint do I use on freshly textured walls?

I textured my painted walls using wall board mud.  I know the first coat of paint should be primer.  May I use Glidden PVA Interior Drywall Primer and Sealer (Store SKU # 691320) or do I have to use the more expensive BEHR, ZInsser or KILZ?  May I tint the primer?


Thank you,


Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-01-05T01:36:06+0000  by HMT HMT



You certainly may use the Glidden PVA to seal your new texture. However, if you are going to use a higher sheen finish coat such as satin or semi-gloss, you might want to consider using the slightly more costly Behr 100% Acrylic Drywall Sealer. Acrylic is a better general prime/sealer r than the Poly Vinyl Acetate ( PVA). The sheen of the finish coat will be higher and more even over the Behr acrylic drywall sealer.


Your primer can be tinted down close to your finish coat. This will help assure the color coverage of the finish coat.


Your finish coat can be either Behrs Premium Plus or Premium Plus Ultra. Both of these paints are self-priming and will help give a nice even sheen opver the primer. Glidden's DUO would also be an excellent finish coat. Indeed, all these paints could have been used as the primer over the texture, but it is more cost effective to use the dedicated drywall sealer. New texture really soaks up primer!


Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-01-06T01:40:10+0000  by ordjen

Yes, thank you.  I will start tomorrow!

Posted 2013-01-06T04:33:08+0000  by HMT
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question