Sign In to join the community | Help

Which sandpaper is best for furniture distressing?

I'm interested in lightly distressing a desk like the desk found on this blog entry:


What grit of sandpaper should I buy for that effect?  Will a sanding block be easiest for this project?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-04-10T03:06:19+0000  by Lark Lark

Good morning, and welcome to the community.


There are a couple of concerns before sanding down the corners:

  1. Is there “true wood” beneath the surface?  Sometimes there might be pressed wood that may not look like wood once removed.
  2. Is the paint an old product from the past that may contain lead?  You may want to work outside and wear a dusk mask.

You will want to use 100 grit sand paper. This way you can fold the paper several times so that you can add enough pressure to break the surface. You may find that an electric sander will do a faster job (if one is available).

After you have exposed the wood you might want to consider lightly staining it with a darker color wood stain.  Lastly, seal the whole desk with a clear coat of polyurethane to protect it and make it last.

I hope this helped… please post some pictures so we can all see your handiwork.

Posted 2011-04-10T13:04:48+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question