Sign In to join the community | Help
Plumbing

Which toilet supply line to choose?

Hi,
I have noticed there are three main types of toilet supply lines available. Braided Stainless steel, Vinyl and Braided Polymer.  How to choose between those three?  Looking for most durable and reliable one.
Thank you.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-08-25T20:47:46+0000  by philvos philvos

Personally I would go with the braided stainless but can’t really explain why.  The inside is just a plastic tube and I really don’t know if that is any better or worse than any other type of supply line.  I’ve lived in a number of places over the years and I’ve never had a supply line leak, to the toilet or anywhere else.
Posted 2018-08-25T23:44:36+0000  by Adam444
Hi philvos,

The breaded lines be it stainless steel or polymer are designed to prevent blowouts of the internal tubing and damage to the internal tubing from external sources. I always use these lines as they are not expensive and assure they maximum protection from leakage and flooding.

In the past stainless steel lines have failed due to corrosion caused by chemicals such as bleach and cleaning chemicals stored in the under sink cabinets. The polymer breaded lines will help prevent this problem.

Under normal conditions, breaded lines will not fail with water pressures up to 100 psi. In most cities the municipal water system provides a pressure of approximately 80 psi. This will vary with the time of day, with the highest pressure occurring during the nighttime hours of 2-5 am as water usage is at the minimum during these hours.

Breaded lines will fail and I always recommend homeowners replace their water supply lines every 5 years to assure maximum protection from leaks and flooding.

Mike
Posted 2018-08-27T22:17:39+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+