Sign In to join the community | Help
Appliances

Whirlpool Bottom Freezer not making ice

I just hooked up my ice maker today - it has made only about 10 cubes in 6 hours!!  The manual says to wait 24 hours for the first batch of ice, but it doesn't seem like it will be full at the rate it is going. Help!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-26T01:12:33+0000  by Baxtero Baxtero

Understand these ice makers are really automated ice cube trays.  Water fills a "tray", freezes (just like water would in a tray), and the machines dumps out the cubes into a bin.  It might not be a bad idea to give it a day, although it doesn't seem like it would be necessary.  How many cubes came out?  Are they shaped correctly?  My first guess is that the ice maker isn't getting enough water.

Posted 2013-08-26T01:34:17+0000  by Adam444

There are about a dozen cubes, slightly smaller than I would expect.  The tubing is not kinked and the water is turned on completely.

Posted 2013-08-26T01:50:36+0000  by Baxtero

A dozen cubes is about right.  There should be an adjustment for the water flow.  At least for the Whirlpool ice makers I've seen (I'm not an appliance tech) it's on the right front of the ice maker.  It's a just a small screw that controls a mechanical timer.

The freezer needs to be cold enough too, warmer and it just takes longer for the cubes to freeze.  I think the recommendation is 0 degrees.

Posted 2013-08-26T13:26:15+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+