Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Whitewash Tongue & Groove Pine Ceiling

I have an octagonal shaped room with a high tongue and grove pine panelled ceiling. There are also eight 4'x6' pine beams that meet at the peak. The wood has not been stained, and there doesn't seem to be any type of finish on it. What I'd like to do is whitewash it, but I don't have any experience in this area. What do I need to do to get started on this project?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-01-20T18:56:19+0000  by vtdiyer vtdiyer

Hello

If you discover that the pine boards and beams are not sealed - then "white washing" just got a whole lot easier for you. With such a large area to cover I would recommend using an exterior semi-transparent deck stain to achieve your goal.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203739120/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=white+deck+stain&storeId=10051#.UP1u6h37LDk

Keep in mind that this will still be messy (working on the ceiling) so you may want to get everything out of the room and cover the entire floor with plastic.

There are two ways to achieve proper coverage:

1. spray with an airless paint sprayer.  Lots of over-spray and you will need to protect the walls and cabinets.
  2. Hand brush (recommended). Brush each board with a wide brush until desired depth of color is reached.

I have done this type of project before and it is very rewarding once it is complete.

Note: If by chance the wood is sealed - you will have to dilute white paint with water and apply with a brush.  Keep in mind that you will most likely will see brush strokes.

Posted 2013-01-21T16:58:58+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+