Sign In to join the community | Help
Lumber & Composites

Whole House Laminate Floor Installation

Hello,

I am planning to install click-n-lock laminate flooring for my first time and I am looking to install about 1,300 sq ft in most rooms (tile floors in bathrooms and kitchen) of a new construction one story home on a new concrete slab.  I've studied online guides about how to accomplish this task and I feel confident - except for one concern - going from one room to another.  I understand how to avoid having a narrow sliver of flooring on one side of a room - like laying out floor tile - you predetermine how many strips of flooring are needed and start off with a ripped strip as necessary to end up with the same width strip at the opposite side of the finished room.  But, I'll be laying flooring in a great room, then down a hall, then into a bedroom, etc, etc., and may be forced to rip a thin strip of flooring on one or more sides of one or more rooms.  Is this expected, unavoidable, and thus normal practice?  Is there any technique to employ to avoid "narrow strip situations" with large, continuous, room-to-room installations?  I thought about first installing some type of threshold at each doorway or entrance, but I have no idea how to either attach or secure the threshold to the slab or the edge of the laminate flooring to the edge of a threshold.

Any ideas or guidance on how I should approach this project is greatly appreciated.  Thanks, JASCO 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-09T20:42:52+0000  by jasco jasco

Hello Okcowboy,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

When it comes to using transition pieces between rooms, it is up to you if you want to continue the laminate flooring in the other rooms PROVIDED they are the same exact flooring planks and the subfloor underneath is even and level.

In your case, I would do one continuous installation in the combined entryway, dining room and living room. I see your point in having concern in the other rooms. Having a continuous installation will give a nice flow throughout all areas the laminate is being placed in. The only real disadvantage would be having a slight opening on the bottom of the door where it meets the floor in the rooms. While this may not be noticable now, it can be at night when the lights are on in the other room and there a gap showing light in the room where you are sleeping.

how to install a threshold strip.JPG

As I said before, it can be personal preference when placing transitions in those areas. Remember, anytime the subfloor is higher or lower than the next room a transition strip is REQUIRED for entryways to ensure the planks will be secure and safe when walked upon.

Hope this helps you out,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2011-11-14T18:19:20+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

We too are looking at replacing all of our carpet with Laminate Flooring, and because of budget, will install it ourselves.  I understand the installation, but am wondering if it is better to transition between rooms with a threshold or make the install one continuous installation.

We have one big room that is a combined entryway, dining room and living room.  The problem comes with the study, hallway and bedrooms.

Thank you for your professional opinion.

Posted 2011-11-14T01:31:00+0000  by OKcowboy

Hey there jasco,

Welcome to our community! :D

Great to hear you're looking into DIY and that you've done your homework too. Lots of people really love the look of a laminate floor, but often become very weary thinking about the installation. But it really is just a "snap and lock" away from being done :) What laminate did you end up purchasing?

The best way to start out the project is to do an actual dry-lay, like you mentioned with tile. The best place to start and orient your floor is along the longest wall, and perpendicular to the joists. This ensures the best look for the room, and most consistent install.

As far as the doorway, it is common to have a smaller strip right at the entry way, but you can also avoid that by doing the dry-lay. You can lay the floor out and have it so that the cut edge is along the wall, but that doesn't tend to look as nice. I would leave it by the doorway. Most doorways, like you guessed, will have a thresholding. Most commonly used is called a T-Moulding. Like the name posits, it's a T shaped threshold that goes between even surfaces. We sell these in packs called Fastrim, so when you visit the store, ask the associate for the Fastrim that coordinates with your floor.
For those pieces, they come with a plastic channel piece that you can nail into the subfloor (or glue depending on how you prefer to work. The nails provided will work for concrete), and the T-Moulding then snaps into that. The actual laminate pieces will rest underneath the T-Moulding.
tmoulding.JPG
The green will represent your laminate, with which you should leave a gap between for the moulding (just as you would along the walls), and the blue represents the channel that the moulding snaps into.
I wouldn't necessarily jump right into installing the moulding first though, as that is typically the final step in the process. I would first do the dry-lay in those areas to makes sure you are comfortable where they are aligned.
Hopefully that helps you out and gets you on your way to installing it :) Post up some pictures of the job in progress or the completed work. We'd love to see it!
And don't hesitate to ask any other questions you run along during the installation~
Posted 2011-02-11T21:28:14+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+