Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Why does my bareroot ozark strawberry 10ct pack have. No crowns. Just a bag of roots!!!!

My bareroot plant is just a bag of roots!!!!!!! Will it still grow if planted?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-05-20T23:11:41+0000  by Shantay Shantay

Hello Shantay and welcome to The Community!  We are glad that you are here. 

First, do not be alarmed; bare root plants look like a bunch of roots. In this condition, they are easy to ship and maintain.The good news is that with a little care, the roots will transform into beautiful green plants – and eventually red strawberries. I have had the pleasure of growing bare root strawberries as well as other bare root plants and enjoyed the transformation into healthy plants– and delicious fruit!  

Start by soaking the roots for about 1/2 hour before planting. Keep them protected from exposure to the air by keeping the roots covered in wet towels. Trim off any damaged roots. You need to dig a hole wide enough to hold the roots and deep enough to set the stock (the crown should be even with the soil surface - a few inches).  Position the roots and firm the well-draining soil around them to remove any air pockets; space the roots 15-24 inches apart. Water and lightly mulch. Soon you will see the roots come to life and small plants will emerge. 

There are additional instructions for strawberry planting on page 1 and growing tips on page 12 of the Planting Guide

Best wishes on your project.  

Posted 2018-05-22T14:38:42+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+