Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Why is my Hampton bay light turn on by itself

I have a Hampton bay ceiling fan/light that has a remote; I turn the fan on at night and after a couple of hours the light turns itself on.  This becomes a nuisance as it wakes me up. What is wrong
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-09-23T14:00:55+0000  by Cfg Cfg

Hello Cfg.  Welcome to the Community!

I can think of 2 reasons for the behavior you describe. 

First and least likely is that the receiver part of your remote control system has gone bad.  The only fix for that would be to replace it and the remote control as well.  Replacement universal remote/receiver pairs are available at your local Home Depot store.  If your fan has special features, the exact replacement parts can be found by contacting our Hampton Bay service team at the number listed below:

Second and more common is RF interference. Something nearby is transmitting on a frequency that mirrors the fan's remote/receiver frequency.  This is especially common in apartment buildings but can happen just about anywhere.  The fix for this is to change the frequency that your fan uses.  There is a DIP switch located inside both the remote control and the receiver.  The settings for these must match each other, but can be changed to another set of codes that can operate without interference from other sources.

Open the back of the remote and change the switches around, (it doesn’t matter what you set them to, only that your receiver matches these settings when you are done).

The next step is to turn off your circuit breaker that powers the fan, (just in case). You will not need to do any wiring for this fix.

Test that the power to the fan is dead using a voltage detector.

Drop the canopy by removing the screw cover and unscrewing it from the mounting bracket

remote canopy.JPG

Pull out the receiver and make sure the DIP switches match your new remote code.

dip switches.JPG

Close everything up and test to make sure the fan works.  Wait to see if the problem arises again.

Chris.

Posted 2016-09-23T15:47:09+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Any chance you have a neighbor close enough that his fan's remote is also controlling you fan?  If so, many fans have a means, via DIP switches, to change the remote code to prevent this problem.  If you can get the model or UPC of the fan someone can help you through making the change.

If you don't have a close neighbor then I'd say something is wrong in the receiving unit inside the fan.  It would need to be replaced.
Posted 2016-09-23T15:59:03+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+