Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Why my Azalea didn't bloom this year?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-05-27T15:38:27+0000  by mohan mohan

Hi mohan.

Thank you for your question.

Depending on where you live, azaleas do best in morning sun and afternoon shade for the most part.  You plant looks burned. This could be from too much afternoon sun, a lack of water and/or too much fertilizer.  Azalea will do best in a damp, well-drained and slightly acid soil. 

How long have you had your azalea?  How often do you water it? What type of sun exposure does you azalea have?

Please let us know and we will be able to assist you further.

Rick_HD_OC

Posted 2016-05-27T17:39:12+0000  by Rick_HD_OC
I live in Plainview, New York. The plant is in full sun and was purchased last year. It has been like this since winter. I water it every other day. Is there a way to recover this plant?
Posted 2016-05-27T18:50:17+0000  by mohan
Hey Mohan.

Is the plastic weed block fabric actual weed block where water can get through it or is it solid plastic?

Weed block is designed to let water through but not sunlight. Azaleas up north can take more sun but the weed block will radiate some serious heat if there is not at least 2 inches of mulch on top of it. Imagine sitting on a hot black roof. This and the black mulch could be just enough to push it over the edge, being that azaleas prefer a little more shade. It is probably just too hot.

I would think that your azalea would do better with more mulch around it and with the weed block removed around it.

Azaleas are also to be pruned right after blooming because they bloom on old growth and set flowers the year before. Check out this post on pruning azaleas.

Posted 2016-05-29T14:54:56+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+