Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Will I need a permit for prehung doors in garage opening in Suffolk County, NY ?

I recently obtained a set of prehung exterior double doors from a friend who no longer has use for them.

I took them with the idea of placing them within a 1-car garage door opening.

No vehicles go inside, it's used for storage and whatnot, nothing else.

The current garage door now isnt in great shape nor would I want to motorize it being costly for me.

The concrete threshold is in good shape, i would need to build it up accept the doors most likely.

I know I will need to make some framework to hold in place and finish off the outside.

Running a 2x4/6 pressure treated board and put the protecto wrap triple edge sealer between.

Obvoiusly this would be screwed in place, but removable.

I dont need this to be a permanent hold though, i could make it removeable at any time.

The original garage door will stay and in up position.

There is no heat or water, only one outlet that was there as long as the house was built. It isnt going to be for living quarters.

Water drainage is not a problem. The driveway is raised a bit so nothing gets indside except leaves etc.

I live in Centereach, Suffolk County, NY.

Im being told that I should change the look of the garage door to giant 7'h x 8'w double doors barn/carraige style.

This would only be for a couple years or so until we get the house redone.

So I ask anyone familiar with Suffolk County, NY

Will I still need a permit to put this within the opening?
Will it affect the taxes?

Alternative idea:
What if I build a 'finished wall w/ door inside' and place it up against the opening
from the inside of the garage? And make special fasteners to hold up against it?

Thanks for your time reading me rant.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-02-26T18:46:50+0000  by signman signman

Hello signman and welcome to the community!

Sorry for the delay in getting you a response. 

In regards to needing a permit, that is something you will have to discuss with your city building department, each town has their own code of what they will allow or needs a permit. Here in Illinois most new subdivisions have a model home that is used as an office, the garage door is replaced with a patio door temporarily.  

You asked "What if I build a 'finished wall w/ door inside' and place it up against the opening
from the inside of the garage?" That would be fine, again it's up to the town or village if it meets their code. 

You have an interesting project in mind, we would love to see pictures, please post some before & after!  Please let usknowifyouhaveanyfurtherquestions, wedon'tmindtherant!

Posted 2013-05-03T17:32:45+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+