Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Will TrafficMasterRdTable carpettiles installd on noninsulated floors stay glued in 10degree weather

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-11T03:10:21+0000  by DMcD DMcD

Hey DMcD,

Thanks for your question and joining us here on the community!

I will say that I've never heard of anyone installing carpet where the floor will be 10 degrees (and I'm assuming that number is Fahrenheit). I also couldn't make out what type of TrafficMaster carpet tiles you have the questions about.

I did a little digging and couldn't find any information on how low or high the tiles can withstand. But, I did find that the tiles need to be INSTALLED in 65-95ºF, which is similar to room temperature. Also make sure there isn't a significant amount of moisture in the air, regardless if this going to be installed inside or out.

If you install under these circumstances, and follow TrafficMasters installation instructions, you will have a durable installation. However, just to make sure your tiles will stay down during cold temperatures, I would add extra adhesive to ensure the tiles stay down.

Luckily for you, we carry an adhesive specially made for carpet tiles. Some stores sell them, but some don't...but you can order it online if needed. You would install this adhesive with a notched trowel. Added adhesive will help the bond between the tiles and subfloor.  

Roberts 2077 1 Gal. Superior Grade Pressure Sensitive Carpet Tile Adhesive

Frankly, the only way I could see your carpet tiles reaching 10ºF if they are going to be installed outdoors. Inside a building or home, even a cold subfloor shouldn't reach that low of a temperature.

Let us know what type and color of TrafficMaster carpet tiles you have, and we can make sure this is the right choice for you.

Cheers,

Joseph

Posted 2013-05-11T13:15:59+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

I am interested in TrafficMaster Round Table Sir Gawain 67205 carpet tiles to be installed in a summer cottage out in a wooded country area.....a bedroom installation....    Bedroom is an added-on room to a chalet.....and is about 8 feet above ground level .... and is not insulated.  Missouri temperatures do occasionally get down to zero degrees.  It may not get to 10 degrees inside the chalet but it does get very, very cold at night.   I thought carpet tiles to be the perfect solution as a tile could be replaced if it became dirty.   If it had to be glued down, replacement of a damaged tile could be more difficult.  I was told by one H.D. associate that I should use 3M Spray Adhesive.  I returned to the store to borrow a sample board to help with color selection and that time I was told I should not need to glue it down.  I want to do this right so no future problems with the tile loosening or curling up ..... could possibly cause someone to fall.   I am just being super careful what I put down on the floor in that bedroom.  I truly appreciate your help... and the prompt response.  

Posted 2013-05-11T16:31:35+0000  by DMcD

Hey its no problem at all, I'm just glad I can be of assistance to you.

Well now that I know the carpet tile we can delve a little further into this project...

I found your carpet tile you mentioned, as shown below.

TrafficMaster Round Table Tl - Color Sir Gawain 24 in. x 24 in. Carpet Tile

I would agree that if you glued it down with addtional adhesive, that the removal/replacement would be a bit more difficult. I only mentioned using carpet tile adhesive due to the fact that the temperature would get so low as to give failure to the existing adhesive on the tile.

While you can use 3M Adhesive spray, make sure to use one that is rated for plastics, since that is what your backing is.

3M 24 oz. Rubber and Vinyl Spray Adhesive

Since you gave us where and how the carpet tiles are going to be installed, I would say that using any additional adhesives would be a moot point.

In terms of the cold underneath, I would make sure that the bedroom floor underneath is well insulated and weatherproof as possible. If anything, this will assist on making the room warm but it wouldn't adversely affect the integrity of the existing adhesive doing its job on the tiles. 

That's not to say you can use the spray adhesive or the one I recommended. I would only use these items in case the existing adhesive fails. So, you don't have to buy it until the time comes. And generally I've only see failure from carpet tiles due to several reasons:

• moisture seeped through the tiles and loosened the adhesive
  • the tiles weren't properly installed
  • high traffic areas made the tiles come up

As long as you follow the manufacturer's instructions and install the tiles on a clean, secure and level subfloor then your carpet tiles will last for a very long time. Since it is for a bedroom, longevity will work due to it not being in a high traffic area.

Just make sure the outside of the rooms walls/ceilings/floors are well insulated. Only then will the room and your tiles work effectively.

Keep us updated on your progress and thanks again for chatting with us here on the community.

Joseph

Posted 2013-05-11T16:55:51+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

At this stage of my life (85 yrs old), I do not want to add all the insulation you mentioned .  I think we will just go with installing the tiles as is and see how the tiles perform.   I will discuss this with the person who will do the work for me and see what he thinks.  I do appreciate all your help and information. 

Posted 2013-05-11T17:27:28+0000  by DMcD

Again, its no problem....that's what we're here for.

As I stated earlier, just make sure you install it over a clean and level subfloor. Only use any additional adhesive when the problem arises. You shouldn't have any issues since it is a low traffic room.

Let us know how the floor turns out, and even if you have any pictures to show us after its put down, we'd love to see it.

Thanks again for dropping by and talking to us about your new floors.

Cheers,

Joseph

Posted 2013-05-11T17:31:07+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+