Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Wind Turbine

This is my first post on this site and hope it is the correct way to do it. Recently bought a wind turbine. Need installation instructions/help  for installing it on my home that has a tin roof.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-06-29T03:01:40+0000  by carl07230 carl07230

Greetings Carl,

My name is Tom, known here as HD116. Let me be the first to welcome you to our community.

In doing some research on your particular application, that of a turbine vent installation on a tin roof I also had difficulty finding any installation instructions. So I called the GAF technical support line in New Jersey at 800-211-9612 and spoke to one of their engineers. Unfortunately, they do not have any installation instructions for a tin roof as the wind turbines are designed for a shingle roof application.

Their instructions for a shingle roof follow here for your review:

http://www.gaf.com/Roofing/Residential/Products/Roof-Vents/MasterFlow-Rotary-Turbine-Vents/Documents/Rotary_Turbine_Vent__Exhaust__-_Installation_Instructions-266-553-v1.pdf

It would be useful to know who manufactured your turbine vent, if not GAF. I would be more than happy to do any research needed to assist you in your installation. Also is your tin roof over plywood or OSB? And what is the approximate pitch of the roof. These will be important things to know in order for me to give you alternate installation ideas.

Please let me know, I am happy to help.

Posted 2011-06-29T13:13:44+0000  by HD116

It is a GAF turbin. The tin is on 1 X 4 slats. No decking underneath. It is approximately a 6/12 or 8/12 pitch

Posted 2011-06-29T14:18:35+0000  by carl07230

Thanks for the quick response,

As GAF can not give any advise as it is not designed for your application I can only tell you what I would do faced with your situation:

I would use their instructions as a guideline for the installation and once the opening was cut, place the flange flashing (base) in a generous bed of roofing sealant to insure complete waterproofing. You should be able to use more as you do not have to risk blistering your metal roof. Further, I wouldn't rely on just the caulk around the perimeter seam. Use self tapping sheet metal screws instead of the nails suggested, and once the sealant has cured, apply a 30 year silicone caulk over all penetrations and seams. Inspect annually for any beak of the seal and it should be fine.

I hope that helps.

Posted 2011-06-29T15:29:09+0000  by HD116

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+