Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Answered

Winter grass

I live in Atlanta, GA and I'm planning to overseed my yard this weekend.  I currently have Bermuda grass that is dormant. What's the best winter seed to use? and what's the best way to start and keep it alive?

Catherine

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-10-06T20:05:30+0000  by cwoodling cwoodling

ingars annual rye.JPG

Hey Catherine. This is Ingar from Atlanta, and it is funny you ask this question because I just overseeded my Bermuda 2 days ago with annual ryegrass. I do it almost every year and when I do, there is not a yard that can touch mine all fall and winter. I recommend putting out 10 to12 lbs of seed per 1000 sq ft. and some 10-10-10 fertilizer. Annual ryegrass is quick to germinate and will die off in the spring when your Bermuda is greening up. I can’t wait to see your before and after pix, and I will post mine when my rye comes up. I hope I was able to answer your questions and thanks.

Best Answer

Posted 2010-10-07T18:57:03+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Thanks so much Ingar. I'll let you know how it goes this weekend! Wish me luck.

Catherine

Posted 2010-10-07T19:03:13+0000  by cwoodling

what is the process for over seeding? Do we have to aerate the lawn first?  Will this mean that we have to cut the grass year round?  I dont love the way the dormant bermuda grass looks but one benefit is you dont have to cut it year round.

Posted 2010-10-12T15:43:19+0000  by kimihar

Hey kimihar,

To get started you will need to get some Annual Ryegrass seed (10 to 12 lbs per 1000 sq. ft.), a broadcast spreader, and some 10-10-10 fertilizer. Be careful to not throw seed in your flower beds. The grass seed and fertilizer will have spreader settings on the back of the bag.

Typically when seeding a yard, aeration is recommended, but in this instance I would not recommend aeration because Annual Ryegrass can grow on concrete and with the freezing temperatures near, aeration would only un-insulate the roots of your Bermuda. I recommend aerating Bermuda when it is actively growing. Cutting grass year round is a drag, but when your Ryegrass comes up and your yard looks amazing, you will know that it was totally worth it. I hoped this helped and thank you for your questions.

Posted 2010-10-14T15:27:38+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

After overseeding, what's the best way to keep the birds away.  We put down a decent layer of fertilizer, but the birds just keep coming by the flock!  

Posted 2010-10-21T20:31:38+0000  by michaelp

Hey michaelp.

Those birds can definitely be annoying. I had to deal with this before and what I did was, when I walked outside, they all went from the yard, into my trees. I went inside, got a frying pan and a wooden spoon and started wailing on the pan with the spoon. Five seconds later I did not have a single bird in my trees. The birds realizing that maybe I was a loose cannon, they never returned.

I found there are 3 things that birds don't like, people, noise, and those plastic owls that the Home Depot sells.

I don't expect you to stand guard all day shoeing off birds,so figure a way to make one of these work for you. I hope this helped and let me know which method you found affective.

plastic_owl_shadowed.jpg

Posted 2010-10-24T12:03:00+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

I planted winter grass in the fall over bermuda sod. My winter grass has  come up this spring. It didn't die in the spring. Now my bermuda sod I paid bucks for doesn't seem to be growing at all. What did I do wrong? How do I get my bermuda to grow?

Posted 2012-05-19T15:18:21+0000  by deb72252
Hey Deb, Ont thing Winter rye grass hates and burmuda loves is nitrogen or urea. Spread 4 pounds of urea per 1000 should solve your problems. Remember to take into account the percent of nitrogen on the bag, so if your using 43-0-0 then you need to devide the 4# s that you need by the strength of the product...in this case 43% or .43. So to get 4 pounds of 43-0-0 you will need to devide 4# by .43= 9.3 pounds per thousand square feet. Be sure to water in well !
Posted 2013-02-09T00:33:18+0000  by Dan1234
Update!

This is my annual Ryegrass lawn this year. It is over top of my Bermuda.

Posted 2017-05-21T18:09:01+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+