Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Wireless thermostat

I'm considering moving our thermostat (old programmable one) but don't want to rewire the house just to move it. One solution is a wireless thermostat but apparently (and I may be wrong, I hope so) Home Depot does not stock such an item.

As I say rewiring is out of the question as the preferred placement, in the living room, but the wall is out of the question for various reasons and besides I want to be able to move the thermostat around.

Anyone have any ideas?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-03-16T12:44:26+0000  by Ro3bert Ro3bert

I saw an ad for one a week or so ago, and located it on the Home Depot Website

(Filtrete Model # 3M-50    Internet # 202352449     Store SKU # 339052):

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=202352449&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&cm_sp=BazVoice-_-RLP-_-202352449-_-x&locStoreNum=256

Posted 2011-04-21T16:30:27+0000  by Liquid_IQ

Ro3bert wrote:

Thanks Tom

I'd already checked the Honeywell site out but was hoping HD had comparable thermostats but since nothing showed up, thought I'd take a chance that someone on this forum would have some ideas.

The problem with the sites with Honeywell weren't sufficiently informational for me. While they showed the components they were woefully short on installation information (except to say it could be anywhere from $200 to $700.

Ease of installation is of no concern for me (unless mega-cost machines are involved) as I do my own plumbing, electrical and carpentry (I've been a carpenter/contractor in the past). What I don't know and what isn't talked about on the websites is do they work on both heating (oil) and AC? What power supply is needed 110AC or 24V AC/DC for the units? What happens to my present thermostat (programmable AC and heat), None of these questions are covered by the information on the sites.

I'm not asking you or anyone else for answers to those questions, they would be answered by a local distributor. That way I could make an informed discussion.

So, anyway, thanks for the information and come back.

Robert

Hello Ro3bert, maybe I can be of some help here.

While neither homedepot.com nor local stores carry wireless thermostats in stock, they are available.

Your local Home Depot can special order Honeywell wireless models at competitive prices thru the plumbing department.  The special order sku is 937-908.  I talked to Tisha at Honeywell customer service and she said that a popular model: YTH6320R1001 has about a 1 week lead time.

There is one BIG caveat though:

There is little easily available on-line information on the installation process for these items simply because they are marketed for only professionals to install.  Home Depot can special order these items because we sell to professional contractors. Neither Honeywell nor Home Depot can be held liable for misapplication or improper installation or service of these products.

The equipment interface module (EIM), which will mount near the HVAC system, should hook up to it in a similar way to your wired unit, which will be disconnected.  There will likely be unused hook-ups, since the system is designed to accommodate a wide variety of HVAC designs.  The EIM uses a 24 volt tap for power.

In order for you to make a more informed decision about how this product works and is installed, below is a link to the system installation guide for this wireless product:   LINK.

Here is a link to 2 operating manuals: LINK;     LINK.

I would be surprised if a local HVAC distributor would be all that helpful in answering your questions.  They will expect the installing contractor to know how these products will be utilized.  I cannot stress enough that you should contact a local contractor to install this item.

I hope this helps,

Newf

Posted 2011-03-18T16:26:54+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

test

elect_answers wrote:

Hello Ro3bert : I am an electrician working at a Home Depot. I go by elect_answers, my name is Ralph. I have heard Home Depot sells a wi-fi thermostat. As best as I can tell from reading the pdf's of the unit, it is wi-fi / internet controllable as a stat. It still must be wired to your HVAC system for power, and or control of your environment. Which I understand is not what you want to do.

I believe,  after a bit of research I may have found an answer under $ 100.00 plus shipping ( of course ) The call it ,the ICS TS820 wireles thermostat.

According to their website, and the information they provide their the unit is what you need. It has 2 pieces,  a unit that you wire to your HVAC controls,  and a "remote stat" , that runs at 433.92 megahertz, and has a range of up to 200 feet, to do the "human interface " part.  Please check out :

http://statwireless.com/indi1ex.php? I think it will be what you want the price is cheaper than most of the others.

Always remember " buyer beware", I have not purchased from them, I have always been able to get a wire where needed, but they appear to be believeable company.   Hope these guys can help?

Posted 2011-03-18T11:13:05+0000  by Naveen

Hello Ro3bert : I am an electrician working at a Home Depot. I go by elect_answers, my name is Ralph. I have heard Home Depot sells a wi-fi thermostat. As best as I can tell from reading the pdf's of the unit, it is wi-fi / internet controllable as a stat. It still must be wired to your HVAC system for power, and or control of your environment. Which I understand is not what you want to do.

I believe,  after a bit of research I may have found an answer under $ 100.00 plus shipping ( of course ) The call it ,the ICS TS820 wireles thermostat.

According to their website, and the information they provide their the unit is what you need. It has 2 pieces,  a unit that you wire to your HVAC controls,  and a "remote stat" , that runs at 433.92 megahertz, and has a range of up to 200 feet, to do the "human interface " part.  Please check out :

http://statwireless.com/indi1ex.php? I think it will be what you want the price is cheaper than most of the others.

Always remember " buyer beware", I have not purchased from them, I have always been able to get a wire where needed, but they appear to be believeable company.   Hope these guys can help?

Posted 2011-03-17T02:40:25+0000  by elect_answers

Hi again Ro3bert,

Here are some links to each comapny's support lines for more detailed questions. I would be happy to do the research, but you better know which models are of interest and can ask more detailed informed questions about your particular application.

Another observation is that many of the sites may be resllers, and are not the manufacterers site. Links to each manufacturers support team follow for your convenience;

https://www.honeywellaidc.com/en-US/AboutUs/contact/TechnicalSupport/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.residential.carrier.com/apps/contactus.jsp?b=c

http://www.venstar.com/Support/

Hope that helps you to identify a product that works for you.

Posted 2011-03-16T18:39:32+0000  by HD116

Thanks Tom

I'd already checked the Honeywell site out but was hoping HD had comparable thermostats but since nothing showed up, thought I'd take a chance that someone on this forum would have some ideas.

The problem with the sites with Honeywell weren't sufficiently informational for me. While they showed the components they were woefully short on installation information (except to say it could be anywhere from $200 to $700.

Ease of installation is of no concern for me (unless mega-cost machines are involved) as I do my own plumbing, electrical and carpentry (I've been a carpenter/contractor in the past). What I don't know and what isn't talked about on the websites is do they work on both heating (oil) and AC? What power supply is needed 110AC or 24V AC/DC for the units? What happens to my present thermostat (programmable AC and heat), None of these questions are covered by the information on the sites.

I'm not asking you or anyone else for answers to those questions, they would be answered by a local distributor. That way I could make an informed discussion.

So, anyway, thanks for the information and come back.

Robert

Posted 2011-03-16T17:59:53+0000  by Ro3bert

Greetings and welcome to our community,

My name is Tom, known here as HD 116 in the community. I found your question interesting and in researching it found that we currently do not offer a wireless thermostat in either our stores or online. I too, found that surprising. But we are here to help you find solutions. In doing a bit of research I found a few alternatives from major manufacturers you will likely know. Some options are available through links to the following companies;

Honeywell - http://customer.honeywell.com/Honeywell/UI/Pages/Catalog/SystemCategory.aspx?Catalog=Homes&Category=Wireless+Thermostats_81040&ChannelID={2eb2f178-20ed-44e0-97fb-ccfb4218dd64}

Carrier - http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q=wireless+thermostats&x=0&y=0&sp-a=sp10038eed

and also Venstar - http://www.venstar.com/Thermostats/#wirelessthermostat

I hope that helps. Good luck with your project and thanks again for joining us here in the community!

Posted 2011-03-16T16:15:39+0000  by HD116

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+